08’ 330 express Live well And wash down works one day. Doesn’t the next

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Live well and wash down have been acting up. Works one day. A day or two. Maybe a week later. It doesn’t. I thought it was user error. But no. Sea cock is open. I noticed the red light inside the box flickers when I flip the switch. Then goes dark. Same goes for the wash down. And No light on the switch. I’m pretty good at DIY if I know where to start. Please advise

white diamond

Reaction score
I have owned a 1992 Explorer for 16 years. It came with a Jabsco pump that usually has to be replaced every few years. Never had one to last more than 4 seasons.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Two starting points are the switches, and the pumps. Interesting - on my express those are different pumps, so odds against it being both pumps. Assume on your boat, both switches are the ones accessible from cockpit and not the ones at the helm like the older ones. If so, aren't the spreader lights also on that set? Do those work? I'm guessing you'll find the issue somewhere in that set of switches - either a bad switch, or a loose connection.

Either way, get out the multimeter and verify the power is flowing to each component.

seasick

Reaction score
What red light in the box are you referring to? If it is a light at the switch panel that goes on and off, your problem is in that wiring.
Are the live well and washdown driven by the same pump?
If not and they both act up at the same time, you have an electrical issue. Could be the feed or the common ground.
Regarding the sea cock; even if closed or blocked, you would still hear the pump or pumps running if you listed closely

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If they are like my 2007 330, the pumps are separate, baitwell in the bilge under the aft cabin panel and the washdown is behind the the port side aft cabin panel. Each have separate seacocks in the bilge under the aft cabin. I believe the red light he mentions is in the bait well. They each have a separate Carling rocker switch at the helm. The only commonality may be the connections under the switch panel at the helm. I guess it is possible that both pumps became intermittent at the same time, but unlikely. More likely a bad connection at the helm panel and I don't believe their ground wires are common. Easy to pull the panel and check voltages before and after the switch for a start.

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
After some help with trouble shooting. It’s the switches. Three rocker switches. Live well. Wash down. Spreader lights. Only the lights work. I switched the live well wire to the light switch. Works great. Do I have to replace the whole rack of switches? Do they come out individually?

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Two starting points are the switches, and the pumps. Interesting - on my express those are different pumps, so odds against it being both pumps. Assume on your boat, both switches are the ones accessible from cockpit and not the ones at the helm like the older ones. If so, aren't the spreader lights also on that set? Do those work? I'm guessing you'll find the issue somewhere in that set of switches - either a bad switch, or a loose connection.

Either way, get out the multimeter and verify the power is flowing to each component.
You r correct. The two switches are bad. Id like to replace all three. Where do I get them? Do I need to replace the faux carbon fiber plate? And those screws?? Arg. The head came off w/o the screw. I have to somehow drill them out.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The switches can be replaced individually, they pop out, but I'd look closely at the wiring under the panel. It is a bit of a rat's nest and the spade connectors are subject to corrosion and loosening. I replaced the rocker covers on my 2007 switches, but only because they were faded and hard to read. Check out newwiremarine.com for parts. They carry everything you might need. If they are Carling rockers which are sealed, then the probability of them being bad is less than the probability of bad connections to the switch itself.

seasick

Reaction score
Just to be clear; If both pumps worked sometimes ( BOTH) but other times BOTH didn't I highly doubt it is the switches. More like the common 12v feed to the switches so before you replace them, take a more detailed look at the common 12V wiring on the back of the panel.
Yes, you may need/want newer switches but figuring out what is wrong is important especially if it is a common ground issue,

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Also, while you are in there and have the switch panel off, clean the contacts with electrical contact cleaner and then spray corrosion block for electrical systems on all the switches. Seasick could be onto something with a faulty ground or the 12 V supply too. electrical grimlins on boats are unfortunately a problem many of us face.. Good luck.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just to be clear; If both pumps worked sometimes ( BOTH) but other times BOTH didn't I highly doubt it is the switches. More like the common 12v feed to the switches so before you replace them, take a more detailed look at the common 12V wiring on the back of the panel.
Yes, you may need/want newer switches but figuring out what is wrong is important especially if it is a common ground issue,

I would agree with this - the culprit is most likely the next connection upstream in common between those switches, or the ground. Wiring connection much more likely than both switches going bad.