09 228 seafarer

Grady 228

Reaction score
Ok boats finally in the water , everything went great! Tonight went down and tried the washdown and all I get is a lot of air and a occasional stream of water then back to spitting air and water. Bad pump or am I doing somethin wrong. :?:

bigk23surf

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing. Stupid question but are you sure its full of water? It took me a couple minutes after I filled it up for it to get the air out of the line and it works fine now.

JiminGA

Reaction score
I ASSUME you are referring to the FRESH water washdown? If so, fill the tank and let it run a few minutes to clear the air.

If it is the raw water washdown and you are getting SOME flow, check the seacock is open and also run awhile to clear the air out.

It does NOT sound like you have a pump problem.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Another thought if you are referring to the freshwater washdown: I have thought my freshwater tank was full before when it wasn't. I put the hose in and water started backing out. Turns out there is a sharp bend in the water fill line. Either insert hose past that bend or slow down the pressure to get water past the bend.

Rob

VinMan

Reaction score
I thought the 10 gal tank was full but it wasn't. Mine also sputters for a short time until the line is full of water but it eventually works great once primed. It doesn't sound like a bad pump at all. It just takes a few.

2006 228
06 Yam 225

Grady 228

Reaction score
This is the raw water washdown. The seacock is open. I'm getting alot of air and some water. I ran it for 2 to 3 minutes. I'll try again and run it longer and see if helps.

seasick

Reaction score
Grady 228 said:
This is the raw water washdown. The seacock is open. I'm getting alot of air and some water. I ran it for 2 to 3 minutes. I'll try again and run it longer and see if helps.

2 or 3 minures is a long time. Something is not right. Don't run that pump a long time without water, you can overheat it.
You probably have a screen somewhere, it may be plugged.

seasick

Reaction score
Grady 228 said:

G8RDave

Reaction score
Or there is an air leak between the seacock and the pump. Mine always takes awhile to reprime, but a couple of minutes is too long. One thing I have noticed about mine is that even once it gets going the pressure can vary significantly. Its not like a garden hose that has constant pressure. I think the pump, by its nature, sometimes gets ahead of itself and shoots water out faster than it can draw it in.

Grady 228

Reaction score
Spoke to a couple of people today and they tend to think it's air lock and can be fixed by pouring water down the line to pump to get it prmed.

Grady 228

Reaction score
Just a FYI had dealer come out to my slip to see if they could find problem. It was a loose connection from the intake line not tighten from factory.