09 275 tournament need help picking electronics

ussteel

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this site as well as Grady White. I have a 09, 275 Tournamnet, hardtop, single 350 yamaha on order due to be delivered the first week of June and I am trying to decide on electronics. I am looking at the E120 Raymarine and the 5212 Garmin. Any input on these ?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats! Yours is the first 2009 I have heard of here or from local friends. I hear good things about both units but I am a Furuno fan. There are many more *good* choices now then just a few years back. I would use these factors for your decision. Choosing one of these or Furuno or Simrad - you cannot go wrong.

o function (which are most important of plot, sonar, radar, etc)
o usability
o price
o local tech support and install

Sometimes one of these can tip the balance. Garmin has the rep for best chartplotter while Ray and Furuno slug it out over fishfinder. Furuno has the best rep for radar and factory tech support. All major units can now be networked. A good friend just installed a 42xx Garmin. I was amazed at how bright the LCDs are these days. Good luck.

Lucky Stars

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is for sale by a guy in my fishing club.

Furuno Nav Net 10" screen with flush mount bracket ,12kw 4' open array radar complete with power and sounder box and gps antenia with stainless mount, all wiring . Does not come with transducer 5000.00 or best offer

Tashmoo

Reaction score
First, congratulations on the new 275 I hope you are as happy with yours as we are with ours. The F-350 is a great combo with this boat.

I was told that the only advantage of the Raymarine E series in the 275 application was the increased processing power and better resolution on the screen. Negatives were the complexity of the interfacing and additional cost. Since you don't need multiple displays the multi display feature is not an advantage. I have the C120 and am happy with the display in direct sun light and with the refresh rate. One word of warning, no matter which system you choose, Yamaha does not support bi-directional communications on NEMA 2000 with the F350. My installer had a very hard time getting all of the engine related functions to display and retain the consumption calculations. Also the F-350 has no mechanical speed pick up so you must get your speed signal from the GPS and if I am not screwing this up it must come from the older NEMA protocol not from NEMA 2000. Make sure you address this issue with your installer, don't assume like I did that the Yamaha and Raymarine interface is all worked out with the NEMA 2000 protocol.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with either Furuno or Raymarine. I liked the display size on the E120 and ended up with it and the E80 with the Navionics plat chart. I would look at a Digital Antenna as well - no soldering. If you want to overlay the radar the Raymarine heading sensor is a 2 unit set-up and easy to mount if you have space problems - not sure if this is possible with the C series. The KVH flux compass is a little large to hide.
Congrats and enjoy the ride.

moklodge

Reaction score
I have used both (a Garmin 5208 though) and have to say I'm impressed with the functionality of the Garmin. The touchscreen is the future I think. The programmers are able to create a much more intuitive interface when they don't have to rely on a fixed number of buttons. The touchscreen filament on the surface of the screen steals some of the daylight viewability though.

That being said, I think the Raymarine is more advanced performancewise. The Garmin let me down in the 3D bottom portion. It is not at all the same as the Raymarine. The Ray actually allows you to discover new underwater structure just by looking on the screen for humps and channels where the Garmin is simply an artistic rendering of the information from the fishfinder. It's not real bathymetric (sorry for the spelling) like the Ray and I love this feature. I've discovered alot of new fishing spots that others don't know by using the bathy feature.

Didn't really notice a refresh difference as the processor in the Garmin is really fast to handle the graphics and interface of the touchscreen. The Garmin even has a fan that starts running to cool the components.

I would probably buy the Garmin if I didn't fish because it is so darn easy to use.