12 Gal. Holding tank large enough?

jbrinch88

Reaction score
In the process of piecing together my head system. This is going in an 88' 24' offshore. I have no intentions on using this boat for long term trips etc. Maybe the occasional overnight stay, but other than that nothing crazy.

Not planning on plumbing in a mascerator since my Marina has a pump out so I have no problem pumping it out every trip or every other trip. When I say "trip" I mean 1 day of fishing/use etc.

Just curious how fast this size tank would fill up? I'm only going off experience here but my father has a 20 gallon in his 26' Silverton and we would use it the whole weekend with anywhere from 5-10 people and he said it wouldn't even be close to full.

Also it's going to be used with a Jabsco electronic head. Not sure how much water it pulls on a single flush have to look that up quick.

Jason

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It can't hurt to go bigger (do you have room to go taller, instead of wider/longer?), but I really think you'll be fine. My Sundancer (Sea Ray) had a 28 gallon, but we NEVER got close to even filling it half way - probably not even 1/3 - and that was when we were out for 3 or 4 days. It takes a lot more poo to fill that tank than one would think :wink: Now, I had a VaccuFlush on there which was EXTREMELY miserly when it came to water usage, and I don't have much experience with electric heads, but I can't imagine it EVER being a problem for a few people over the course of a day or even two. But I suppose a lot of it comes down to how much beer is being recycled... Actually, come to think of it, it was many, many trips till I had to do a pump-out (which I could do at home with a home-made/onboard setup). I think you'll be just fine.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
It can't hurt to go bigger (do you have room to go taller, instead of wider/longer?), but I really think you'll be fine. My Sundancer (Sea Ray) had a 28 gallon, but we NEVER got close to even filling it half way - probably not even 1/3 - and that was when we were out for 3 or 4 days. It takes a lot more poo to fill that tank than one would think :wink: Now, I had a VaccuFlush on there which was EXTREMELY miserly when it came to water usage, and I don't have much experience with electric heads, but I can't imagine it EVER being a problem for a few people over the course of a day or even two. But I suppose a lot of it comes down to how much beer is being recycled... Actually, come to think of it, it was many, many trips till I had to do a pump-out (which I could do at home with a home-made/onboard setup). I think you'll be just fine.

Lol. It would really only be used for those emergency #2's, and for the ladies to be feel more comfortable :mrgreen: .

I spoke to my dad today and he's pretty sure it uses less than half a gallon per flush. For 1's you barely need any water. Really depends on how long you hold the switch down.

I could go with a bigger tank, plenty of room in there. I just don't know if I'd ever want to use the extra space for something in the future.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yeah, you should probably be just fine. What's an "average" pee... something like a Snapple bottle's worth (16 oz), give or take? Add in the flush water and it's still not all that much. 128 oz in 1 gallon.