12v At The Work Bench

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I didn't have a transformer and got tired of using clips off a jumper cable. I sometimes find didn't it useful to test 12v items at my desk/bench with my spare battery. I have some electric reels so I used a cord with clips to make a test lead. Just an idea. This is a Dawai cord.20220311_122615.jpg20220311_122626.jpg

Reactions: everwhom

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a power supply out of an old PC. The disk drive connectors have both 5 And 12 VDC. I use it to spool my electric reels.

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I use a control transformer out of a furnace (I'm a hvac contractor), made a bridge rectifier with 4 diodes, a load resistor, a filter capacitor, and a zener diode. ;)

I was in electronics before hvac. I made that contraption because a drill charger got damaged but now modified it to 12v to bench check/input coordinates into chartplotters and test whatever.

Reactions: everwhom

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I use a control transformer out of a furnace (I'm a hvac contractor), made a bridge rectifier with 4 diodes, a load resistor, a filter capacitor, and a zener diode. ;)

I was in electronics before hvac. I made that contraption because a drill charger got damaged but now modified it to 12v to bench check/input coordinates into chartplotters and test whatever.
Reminds me of intro to electricity and magnetism lab freshman year!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I did a transformer for this on my WB -nice add. Used it for testing various items and came in handy when learning my electronics via simulation mode.

tish

Reaction score
I use a dedicated bench power supply, mine will switch between 3,6,9,12 volts and cost about $40-$50 on Amazon. It does not push out many amps so you're not going to be bench testing a starter or something like that with it, but for most of the stuff I work on (antique vehicles mostly and occasional fun electronics stuff with my 9 year old) it comes in really handy.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I remove or cut off the cables from my old electronics (all types) and hang on wall in my shop. Can usually find a connector and cables for any use that way.

Harrysea

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If you have a 12v cordless drill or some other tool that uses a 12v power pack, you can plug your wires into the battery receptacles. The polarity is usually clearly marked. You may not want to operate electronics this way for a long period, but it’s a convenient way to test things out.

Reactions: greauxpete