12v coffee maker?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
None that I have ever, personally, found over the years. A better solution is to have a grill, like a Magma, onboard. Then a simple aluminum or SS coffee pot (like a perculator). But don't use the perc part of it - just boil the water - then use a french press to make the coffee. The plus to having the grill onboard is that you can, well, grill!

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm doing an inverter project on my 330 Express and one of the main objectives is running my Keurig as well as my George Foreman grill and microwave -- all just for a few minutes. It's doable, but quite a lot of DC current. Basically divide the wattage by 12 and the multiply by 1.1 to account for inverter inefficiency. So a 900 watt Mr Coffee needs about 83 amps DC to run. A lot more than you can put through a car-lighter adapter...

x2 on the thermos if you're not overnighting...

I did a quick look at some of the 12v makers on Amazon. They certainly look interesting and inexpensive. Why not try one out?

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Did a lot of camping when my kids where in Boy Scouts. A jet boil and you have boiling water in 2 minutes. Starbucks Via Italian Roast coffee is really strong and tastes good. I drink it to this day. Anyway in the cold winter fishing days in the mountains here I bring my Jet Boil on the boat. It's a good option.

Reactions: FirstTimeGrady

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Just found a Coleman propane portable coffee maker that might work
those work pretty well, a buddy uses them camping. You can also try the Mikita battery powered unit if you don’t want to use propane. Will just need to charge the batteries.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
......just use a inverter.
Pay attention to what amperage And watts it can handle. Coffee makers have a surge at startup and use a lot of power.
Years back we tried this for surf fishing to make morning coffee on the beach for overnight trips.
found out you’ve really got to go big to work with a coffee maker.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Pay attention to what amperage And watts it can handle. Coffee makers have a surge at startup and use a lot of power.
Years back we tried this for surf fishing to make morning coffee on the beach for overnight trips.
found out you’ve really got to go big to work with a coffee maker.
Always over size inverters and get a sine wave. I run my full size garage frig on one during storm power outages.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

B-Shell

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
If you are Leary of open flame onboard I’d go with a K-Cup it you must make go juice with a coffee maker. Prob less amps than full blown coffee maker and can make as needed in any flavor you or the crew wants. Even makes tea and hot chocolate.
How ever I’m +1 on a big thermos. One less “system “ to keep up with.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Always over size inverters and get a sine wave. I run my full size garage frig on one during storm power outages.
Sorry if I derailing this for a second...
We have a generator but our home owners insurance covers food loss due to power outages with no deductible so you gotta wonder whether to burn the gas to save it or let it go and make s claim.
The last big storm we had knocked our power out for a week. I told our insurance company we lost food in the fridge and freezer. They asked how much would I estimate, oh about $400 worth. I had $400 deposited to our account before I hung up the phone . :)
USAA great company !