130 HP Okay for a 1977 20' Dolphin?

jim scrivens

Reaction score
I am repowering my 1977 Dolphin with a 1997 Evirude 130 HP, it had a tired 150 HP Suzuki. Is this new motor going to be enough for the old girl?

Thanks in advance for any advice that you may lend!

Jim

catch22

Reaction score
I've heard of some older 20 footers with a 140 on them. With the exception of the Yamaha 150 four stroke, (4 cylinder) anything less than 150 was a 4 cylinder and 150 and higher is a 6 cylinder. Imo, the 6 makes all the difference. It's not just a matter of 10 or 20 hp, but a big difference in cubic inch's, (torque and power).
With a light load, 2 people, half fuel, etc, it might be ok, but when you've got 4 people, more gear, fuel, etc, I think you'll be putting a heck of a load on that motor. Not to mention, when it gets rough and the extra power you need won't be there. If it were me, I'd want nothing less than 150 on there.

tibeachguy

Reaction score
In my experience I agree with the post above. You won't be satisfied with anything less than a 150hp. Look around and check with the dealers. There are some very nice, used 150hp 2 strokes out there right now that you can get for a good price. People are trading them in and repowering with 4 strokes.

Myself, I still love the 2 stoke smoke.

TWO STROKE SMOKE MAKES ME HORNY!

jim scrivens

Reaction score
That's what I figured, too bad, price was right on the 130. I'm not sure what the boats power rating is, but now I'm thinking that I might put a bigger motor (like a 225) on that can run at lower rpm at cruising speed, which might actually improve mileage. What are your thoughts?

Jim

tibeachguy

Reaction score
Now I think you may be going from one extreme to the other. A 225 is nearly a 100hp jump. I'm not sure of the max hp rating either but you should call or email GW customer service to find. I have a feeling that 225 may be overpowered.

I wouldn't put anything smaller than 150hp or larger than 200hp. A 175hp may be a nice compromise. That is what I had on my 19ft Tournament (just sold it) and was very satisfied. I have a 200hp on my 20ft Escape and that seems to be about right as well.

I would look for a good, nice motor in that HP range and take the best deal.

catch22

Reaction score
I had an 87 20'Overnighter with a 175 Johnson. No complaints... I was totally satisfied with power and speed. I also had an 83 20' Gulfstream, (i/o converted to outboard) with a 200 Suzuki, on a bracket. Plenty of power, great speed, (43 + mph).

Max hp is probably 230 for your hull. I understand what your saying about cutting back on rpms and maybe less wear and tear with a 225. It sounds fine and I know it's rated for it, but I'm just a little skitish about getting too close to the max hp rating, especially on an older hull. Absoloutely nothing wrong with it.... that's just me. Imo, a 175 or 200 fuel injected 2 stroke would be the way to go. I wouldn't necassarily walk away from a 150, but it would have to be a super deal.

Tibeachguy... it looks like I was typing about the same time you were... I'm just slower. :lol:

gw204

Reaction score
If you're no speed demon, you'll probably be OK. My Dad used to run a '77 204 Hatteras w/ a 115 Evinrude and I don't think he ever complained about power. I think he said it topped out at like 33 mph.

Just make sure you prop the engine so it can reach it's max rated RPM at WOT.