130 rod holders

Stowefish

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the 2 piece gunwales on the Grady 306. I put 0 degree swivels to fish for tuna and was told that the 2 piece gunwale wasn’t going to be strong enough. Would appreciate any insights/experience people have had. Thinking I need to come up with some kind of reinforcement. Thanks!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd shoot an email to GW Cust Service. I'd use a galvanized backing plate for sure.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
How much drag are you talking about? Even at 30% you are only talking 40 lbs. I would consider backing plates or glass in a long Coosa board in to back it and spread the load. I find it hard to believe that it won't hold up. But just in case use a safety line.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The gunnel is plenty thick enough. Rod holders are thru bolted with big washers or a backing plate. I think the OP is asking about the connection of the 2 piece gunnel to the hull.

On my 265 it was epoxied and screwed (minimal screws) and then caulked with something like 4200 ( I say 4200 because it had grey spots from aging and 4200 does that).

I had one side off due to an "incident" involving a crazy current, a dock piling and a protruding rodholder mounted cutting board.
Cutting board hit the piling and the gunnel popped 1/4", halfway pulling screws. The rodholder held up fine. The protruding cutting board saved my hull from a disaster...just dumb luck...
That was a 100 times more pressure than a 130 with drag.

I re-epoxied and added a few more screws.

I have Gemlux Heavy Duty 0deg swivels in my gunnels

Jamato14

Reaction score
I have 3 on my 272, all 4 bolt with backing plate. I made sure the core was dry, sealed the top and bottom with marine grade caulk and have had 3 years and all types of fish from giant bluefin to sharks on them with no signs of stress or fatigue on the gunwales. Make sure when they are installed to retighten the bolts a day or two after and check by hand the rod holder doesn’t move and there should be no issues

Karen Ann IV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Looking to add rod holders to my 2021 306 Canyon. Are there any issues I need to be aware of?