150 hp Yamaha has miss. Fuel filter or plugs?

Craig

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
One of our Yamaha 150’s has a miss at idle. The engines are on a GW Freedom 255. Could it be plugs or fuel filter?

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hard to say. When was last time plugs filters were changed? Have you looked at them?

Craig

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Hard to say. When was last time plugs filters were changed? Have you looked at them?
Plugs were changed at last 100hr. I will get a filter and plugs before I remove cowling

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Need more info. Year of engine? # hours? Runs OK at higher RPM? If really a miss, is it consistent? Fuel problems typically reveal themselves at higher RPMs. Check plugs for fouling. Clogged or bad injector could cause a "miss," but would most likely be there at all RPM ranges. Ignition problem could be plug or coil, depending on the engine, coils feed two plugs. Bad/loose plug wires? Lots of possibilities! I always recommend you get the Yamaha YDIS diagnostic software/cable if your engine is compatible.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Need more info. Year of engine? # hours? Runs OK at higher RPM? If really a miss, is it consistent? Fuel problems typically reveal themselves at higher RPMs. Check plugs for fouling. Clogged or bad injector could cause a "miss," but would most likely be there at all RPM ranges. Ignition problem could be plug or coil, depending on the engine, coils feed two plugs. Bad/loose plug wires? Lots of possibilities! I always recommend you get the Yamaha YDIS diagnostic software/cable if your engine is compatible.

Have you checked this ?

seasick

Reaction score
could be a lot of things. Best move is to have codes dumped. That said, the first thing I would look at are the plug wires to make sure they are seated correctly Does the miss occur on a cold start and after warming up?
Could be a bad plug, coil or injector. You can also try pulling plug wires one at a time and starting the motor to see if the miss gets worse. That should determine if the problem is a specific cylinder or common to all.

seasick

Reaction score
If there were a fuel restriction, you would expect the motor if it runs, to run better at low revs and no load. Since yours runs crappy at all speeds, I would be less likely to suspect a fuel problem

Craig

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
New plugs fixed the problem!

seasick

Reaction score
Were the plug wires loose? I would not expect multiple plugs to go bad unless there is another factor. I assume both motors were serviced at the same time and therefore if it was just aging plugs, you will should see a similar problem on the other motor.
How did the plugs look?

Craig

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Were the plug wires loose? I would not expect multiple plugs to go bad unless there is another factor. I assume both motors were serviced at the same time and therefore if it was just aging plugs, you will should see a similar problem on the other motor.
How did the plugs look?
Both set of plugs were replaced in September 2019. These plugs looked ok, but one obviously had a internal issue. Boat runs great now!

seasick

Reaction score
A single bad plug I can understand.
It isn't all that often that fixes are that simple and inexpensive!
The boating gods have smiled on you:)