175hp Suzuki four stroke

fishermanaddict

Reaction score
Is anyone know 175hp Suzuki four stroke would have enough power for 209 Escape? How is the torqe and reliable of this motor compare to 200hp hpdi?

Butcherboy

Reaction score

I went from a 225 2 stroke to a f150 on mine and am very happy. top speed is about 35mph...Tom

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishermanaddict said:
Is anyone know 175hp Suzuki four stroke would have enough power for 209 Escape? How is the torqe and reliable of this motor compare to 200hp hpdi?

You might search on THT on Suzuki, I think you'll find nothing but good to say on them.

They are reportedly very reliable. Compared to your 200 hpdi? Wont accellerate as quickly, but should do the job just fine. It's enough rated power for that hull that it should find a top speed pretty close to 40, cruise probably a couple miles less, but can run at a higher rpm all day to compensate and get slightly better economy. Proper proping is the key there. There's a lot to be said for clean, quiet, four stroke power.

Another one to consider would be the E-tec 175. Also has an excellent reputation. Very quiet and clean too, less maintenance.

For a repower, another consideration is a low-hour take-off if you can find one of the same model. Would save about half the cost of new.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What about ETEC 200 small block, why go to 175, same weight.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
What about ETEC 200 small block, why go to 175, same weight.

When I first got my boat I considered trading or selling off the F150 for an E-tec for better performance. For mostly all ocean work the 150 has proved sufficient.

When I was looking at the options on the E-tec's, the price difference was at least a grand between the 175 and 200 small block. And if you look at the power curve you only see the additional HP at wide open, top speed. I figured that I never run my motor at that speed so I would not benefit from the additional 25 hp. At cruise rpm the torque and hp output is virtually identical. Afterall, they are the same block, just tuned to run up just a hair more on the 200.

I do like the e-tec's though. I had a 75 on a RIB and it was great. I ran the Amsoil HPi oil and it didn't smoke, was quiet, and on a 15' boat as fast as hell. I didn't bother with the 100:1 tune, to me it was handier to be able to use any good TC3 oil. I'll bet the HPi oil would be fine at the lean setting, would be worth checking with them on that. Under warranty of course, you have to stick with the factory spec.

The flush port on the back is handy, they have a built in fogging process for storage. And with no valves, maintenance is greatly reduced. They are computer controlled so start and run like a four stroke. They are very common on fleets, rentals, and government craft. You wouldn't find them there if there was a problem. I would take one over an Optimax any day.

EDIT: BTW, the primary complaint with zuki's is lack of dealer network. They're great if you have someone close by to do service work if you need it. To me, especially here in so-Cal, and because I'm a DIY for everything, would not bother me in the slightest. If you get to out of the way places though, you can still get service for a yam, a merc, or a 'rude, but might be a different story with a zuki or a honda.

Bread

Reaction score
fishermanaddict,

I have a 2009 Suzki 175 DF on my 1990 Overnighter. I only have 22 hours on it but so far I am pleased. I have not compiled any data on speeds/RPMs but it has a lot of power.

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
I have a Suzuki f 150 on my overnighter and I am very pleased with its performance and power. It is true that you may need a good suzuki dealer to take it to but you will not need to very often. The difference between the 150 and 175 is the not much at all mechanically, other than air induction and valve timing. If Iam off on that remark I know its not by much. You should be very happy with a zuke 175 on your escape with plenty of power and service record keep the change in your pocket as I do believe the e tech is more expensive than the zuke. :wink: