175s on a '93 Sailfish 252G?

gw204

Reaction score
Anyone every run a Sea V2 Sailfish with 175s?

In my quest to find a set of affordable replacement engines, I ran a cross a set of nice (I haven't seen them in person yet) '95 Merc 175s. I think these motors could be had faily inexpensively, but I'm wondering if the boat would be underpowered.

Any thoughts?

goldeneye

Reaction score
Twin 175's on Sailfish

I ran a 25 sailfish for 14 years and it only had a single 260 HP, OMC-I.O. The boat had plenty of power except in a following sea. I wish I had twins during that condition. If you plan to run twin 175's, I believe you will be very happy with that amount of power.

sraab928

Reaction score
Brian, well I don't have experience with it - I would twin 175's would be sufficient. I wouldn't go to twin 150's as that might be pushing it. My boat with the twin 200's launches hard out of the hole and performs really well - I doubt a 50hp drop would be that drastic.

If you want my opinion - which of course you didnt ask for ...lol... Based on the emails I have gotten on my boat - older 2 stroke power makes the sale tougher - but of course these same people do not have the extra dough to pony up if the boat had new power so its kinda funny. They are like if it had new DFI's or 4 strokes Id be all over it - yeah at 25K so would I..lol.

I did have a someone come look at my boat and fall in love yesterday - they are meeting with their credit union today - we shall see if the deal goes through or not - They knew in the price range they were in that older 2 stroke power was were they had to go to get in the size boat they wanted.

I think a pair of 175 Suzukis would make that boat a killer rig... the range would be unreal.

Reaction score
GW,

I had a pre SV2 87 Sailfish. Original power was Johnson 175's. I put on twin 97 carbed 175 Mercs and it performed just fine, plenty of power. I can't recall the exact #'s but I know we got just a bit above 1 mpg when it was fully loaded up.

jmphoto

Reaction score
I have an 94 sailfish with twin merc black max 175s which have plenty of power the issue is fuel consumption you might consider dfi that will get you 25% better consumption you need to run the numbers .

gw204

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Sounds like the 175 would be fine in terms of power and performance.

My main goal here is still to try and get the boat sold, so the dilemma is whether or not to put on older carbed engines or used DFIs. If I go with the carbed engines, I'll have to target one audience and price range, and if I do the DFIs (which I have located a pair) I'll be in a position to target another audience and price range.

What to do...what to do... :) :? :) :?

gw204

Reaction score
NA2P said:
Keep the boat and just buy them 200 HPDI's for 22k, better yet get the Yamaha 4 strokes.

That $23K turned into $29K after I got the quote on all the necessary rigging an installation. Call me a cheap bastard, but those motors just aren't worth it to me....and F200s are more. I could get new 200 Optis (which offer better performance and economy that both) for the same price.

The wife and I agree that it would make sense if we intended to keep the boat a long, long time, but I know that won't happen.

gw204

Reaction score
sraab928 said:
If it helps - looks like mine is sold.... Will know for sure in the next 24 hours.

Yep, that helps a lot. Gets some of my competition off the market. :D

Congrats. :)

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Knowing only what I read here and in the news, about your current market and having had 3 different boats in the last 6 years ........my thoughts are that fuel economy is the number one factor influencing boat purchase ( if you are in the market for one , that is) therefore HPDI's and Opti's are always going to sell better over carb's as long as the price fits.

Four strokes are going to be too expensive........so repower with used cheap injected 2 strokes ........

I picked up my 2000 model 265 with a set of 2003 200hpdi's . After 6 months use I have calculated that I'm using 25% more fuel than my previous twin 150 Honda fours (on a cat hull) .........given that I have 25 % more horsepower up to 1000 kilo's more of deep vee and I'm cruising at least 3 knots faster; I'm very pleased with these motors.............. just my 2 bob's worth.

sraab928

Reaction score
gw204 said:
sraab928 said:
If it helps - looks like mine is sold.... Will know for sure in the next 24 hours.

Yep, that helps a lot. Gets some of my competition off the market. :D

Congrats. :)

Glad I could be of service Brian...lol

Just as a side note - I took the buyer out for another ride so he could get familiar with the operation of a larger boat - He is moving up from an 18 foot skiff. Anyway he wanted to know if you could tilt one motor up and get the boat up on plane with the other - so we tried it - The boat wanted to get on plane but could not - best we could get was 17 mph per the gps - I think with the front tank full it might have gone - I tried to use the motor trim and trim tabs but it just wouldn't get there. So a single 200 is probably out of the question! lol

amr72

Reaction score
My opinion

As a recent buyer, I can say that dfi or 4 stroke is the only way to go. Look for a set of used 200 hpdis or optis and I think you will sell the boat. You might not get all the money back, but the boat will be sold and you can move on. If you put carbs or efis on there I think the boat will continue to sit. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ant

jehines3

Reaction score
could always go to a single 350 4S?

Edit: have you tried listing the hull no motors? jh

gw204

Reaction score
jehines3 said:
could always go to a single 350 4S?

Edit: have you tried listing the hull no motors? jh

That would required a bracket change (at the very least) and would definitely end up costing quite a bit more than a pair of lightly used DFIs.

The hull is currently for sale w/ no motors, but I'm not sure how long I want to keep that up. At least if I put a pair of used DFIs on there, she won't be confined to my driveway while on the market. :cry:

Right now I'm leaning towards a pair of Optis. Yes, I know the HPDIs have a better reputation and resale, but all of the pairs I have located so far usually have at least one replacement powerhead...and I don't want to go there (it's a me trusting that it was done right issue). Makes me wonder where that better reputation came from....