180 Electronics Upgrade

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I finished the electronics upgrade last night....of course with a sale pending, the new owner will end up with a nice setup.

Went from this (a Garmin 492 and 160FF):

2009-01-02 002 by parthery, on Flickr

To this (an HDS-7):

IMG-20120223-00006 by parthery, on Flickr

Installation was not too bad...wiring access in the console is not awful...the rigging tube was easy to navigate...

Looking forward to actually trying it out when we sea-trial this weekend.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looks good Brian. Did you get a chance to side scan under my dock?

And what's with the sale? You have had that boat for awhile so I guess it is time for a change. Good luck with the sale and the search for what ever comes next.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I picked up the HDS when the GEN-1s were phased out and the rebate was in place. The rebate was extended til May 25, by the way.

The kids are getting bigger...and they don't go anywhere without their friends. At some point we are going to need more space. And I've gone full circle....going back into a DC...

I'll should be back in the water shortly, and will be happy to scope your dock. :)

brodie129

Reaction score
any problems with wires fed from transom? Is this a large diameter area? Just wondering I am replacing my original sounder with a Fish finder on my Overnighter (86) and am a little nervous.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Getting through the rigging tube is not too bad. Pick up a spool of clotheline at your local Big Lots or Hardware store. Tape it to the end of the plug for your old FF (use plenty so it stays fastened even when you pull on it. I prefer black electrical tape.) GENTLY pull the FF from where it enters the rigging tube in the stern of the boat. As you pull, the clothesline will be pulled through the pipe. Once you can grab the clothesline, pull some extra slack through and then do the exact same thing with the new transducer lead, pulling this time from under the dash.

Getting "to" the rigging tube, can be a bit more of a challenge. You may have to remove access plates and/or a panel under the helm, and it's definitely easier to get to the one in the stern if you remove the batter(ies).