180 Sportsman console rod holder install

sprockets

Reaction score
The 1999 180 I recently purchased does not have the plastic console mounted rod holders installed. The prior owner gave them to me with hardware. I went to install them this morning and the screw he provided don't make sense.

There are self-threading screws with washers installed where the rod holders mount. The screws he gave me have nuts attached. I can't see any way these can be through-bolted.

Anyone have a picture of the hardware used to mount these?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
From memory, if you remove the 10 gallon water tank (or at least loosen it), you may be able to get between the side of the console and the live well. If not, a short self tapping screw will do the trick.

sprockets

Reaction score
I'll have to take a picture of the hardware I have. My concern is that short self tapping screws won't be strong enough if I have 2 offshore setups on each side. I'd hate to have a screw pull out.

sprockets

Reaction score
I called Grady White and spoke to Bert in Customer Service. He said they are through-bolted with a nut and washer. Access is through a removable panel in the console below the fresh water tank.

Next time it isn't 100 degrees out I'll take the cover off and get them installed.

sprockets

Reaction score
A quick update - I pulled the cover off last night and checked it out. There is no panel on my 1999 180, but I could just barely get may hand behind the attachment area on the port side by reaching behind the cc door. No way to get to the starboard side without removing the fresh water tank unless I was Gumby with 5' double jointed arms. I may just install the holders on the port side and leave the starboard side alone.

Greatty

Reaction score
Yep, I have the same model and year. I'm not sure what that guy Bert was trying to tell you, but you'd have to remove the freshwater tank to do the starboard side. That console is a lot of fun to work in, and I am only 5'10' and 180! .... Definitely an end of the season project! At least there is storage under the gunwales. Good luck, great boat!

sprockets

Reaction score
Thanks Greatty. I was able to install the rod holders on the port side. Decided to upgrade the washers to provide more support inside the console, and also drilled a hole and inserted a stainless screw at the bottom of the rod tubes to support a gimbal butt. It was tough to get my hand between the live well and console due to the plumbing hoses in there. Lost a little skin on my knuckles but not too bad. I don't think I am going to tackle the starboard side anytime soon.