180 Sportsman drop in boxes

B8CASTR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
The openings under the rear seats on the 180 are just two big holes. Other Grady models offer removable drop in boxes that add alot of great storage but Grady doesn't offer them for this model. Has anyone found something that they use for this purpose?

B8CASTR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Judging by the lack of replies this is not an easy item to find.

However, I made two and they fit perfectly; they are for my son's boat and he loves them. In case anyone wants to make their own drop in boxes for a 180 Sportsman, or any other model, here's how I did it:

I went to a hobby shop and bought 12" x 24" sheets of .125 styrene made by a company called Evergreen Styrene. I also bought Evergreen's .125 quarter round strips. I also bought a liquid cement made by Plastruct called PlasticWeld. Believe me, PlasticWeld is just that - after it sets up if you can separate it I will get out of your way in any back alley.

I undersized the cutouts for the bottom by 1/2 inch each way since the openings have rounded corners and I wanted to make the units square. Once I had the sides and bottoms cut, I joined the sides using the quarterrounds at the corners and where the bottom and sides met for reinforcement. Then I added 3/4 inch lips around the top, again reinforced with the quarterrounds. The oversized lips assured that the boxes would not drop into the opening. All joints were doused with PlasticWeld using a small brush such as an artist's brush and then left to sit overnight.

Total cost was about $50 per box, and the extra storage is well worth it.

I hope this info helps someone.

Greatty

Reaction score
Great idea! Any chance of some pictures? I have been wondering if I could utilize this space. - Bob

scottiesq

Reaction score
Sounds like a very good idea

I have had similar response on my question about a removable fish well that originally was available for the Tournaments: none.

Sounds like what you did may be the way to go if I not put the auxiliary tank back in.

I also would love to see a picture of your implemented idea.

Gradywolf

Reaction score
I have a 175 Spirit and it is missing one of the aft drop in storage boxes. I have looked everywhere and have given up at this point.

I would love to see some pics of our solution.

B8CASTR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Okay, I get the message. I will contact my son tomorrow and see if he can take/post pictures. He's in CA and I'm in NJ so it'll be his duty. Like
I said earlier, I want to help anyone I can so if pics do the job we'll do our best ASAP.

B8CASTR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I received four nice pictures but don't know how to post them. If anyone interested will send me an email through this website I will be glad to forward them to you.

pilotart

Reaction score
If those photos are stored anywhere on the internet, posting them here is easy.

All you have to do is paste the complete (http://... ect.) internet address (URL) between a
(no space between the ]and the URL[/img] ).

If the photos are huge, it would be best if you could reduce the size (at the URL) first, but not required.

a1mccray

Reaction score
I have a 226 and asked a Grady Designer at a boat show why they do not have a drop in for the aux tank area. His answer: Grady does not allow any area under the floor that can not drain overboard. That is why boxes are not available from Grady.