180 Sportsman Trim Tabs

cdillar

Reaction score
Hey guys - I'm looking for a little help on some Lenco trim tabs for my 2000 model 180 Sportsman. I haven't purchased any yet and was wondering what size most of you are running out there? I'm thinking 9x12 but not certain.

Also, is there enough transom room for the standard mount or do I need to get edge mount?

And last thing, what position on the bottom of the transom are most of you running? I've tried attaching a picture of the bottom of the boat to show what I'm talking about. If any of you have pictures of factory installed trim tabs that would be awesome as well. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6261.JPG
    IMG_6261.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 295

Tabman

Reaction score
Since I work for Bennett I'm biased! But I would suggest looking into the 912ED 9 x 12 Edge Mount Tabs, here is a drawing to give you an idea how they would fit:

912ED

The vertical clearance is approximate since it will change a bit due to transom angles.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

Jody

Reaction score
I just bought the Bennett sport tabs 10/12 for my 228. The kit comes with everything you need and seems well built. They say 3 to 4" in from the outside chine and you can go past the inside chine you have no problem. Waiting for my bottom to be blasted before I install. I can't wait to see what they will do for my fuel burn now I'll be able to keep my prop at the proper thrust angle and use the tabs to adjust the boat and get rid of the lean when I have my heavy friends out on a trip. Lol

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Would suggest you look at Bennett tabs. The customer service from Tabman alone is worth the investment along with the benefits of having tabs. I've had both Lenco and Bennett on my boats, they both work, but my nod still goes to Bennett just to have Tom's help when needed.

OCMike

Reaction score
So is the proper location off the Outside Chine or should it be inside past the first curve (I believe it's the inside chine)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Another vote for Bennett. GW uses them for a reaspn and the support is awesome from the Tabman…..

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I'm new here and have the same question about a 180 (mine will be a 2004)...

"So is the proper location off the Outside Chine or should it be inside past the first curve (I believe it's the inside chine)"

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sad that the Tabman is nolonger with us. He's missed. I'm sure Bennett has a new person. Big shoes to fill.....

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm new here and have the same question about a 180 (mine will be a 2004)...

"So is the proper location off the Outside Chine or should it be inside past the first curve (I believe it's the inside chine)"

That "inside chine" you are referring to is a called a lifting strake. Don't worry about the lifting strakes in regards to tab mounting.

Tabs are mounted as far outboard as possible - in this case, just inside the inboard curve of the chine. Maybe an inch-ish inboard of the chine.

Go to Bennett's website and look at their tech help section and even download installation manuals for more detailed info. But the above is the jist of it.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Too bad Tabman left and it seems no one has filled his shoes. I tried calling Bennett for pre-sales help and didn't even get the option to leave a message. The recording said to send an email which I did. A week later, still no answer.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tabman passed away. He was a good guy and always willing to help.

Bennett Marine is now a division of Yamaha.

Reactions: Meanwhile

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Sorry to hear that, he seemed very helpful from the posts I have read.

Doesn't surprise me that their service has fallen off after being bought by bigger company.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Too bad Tabman left and it seems no one has filled his shoes. I tried calling Bennett for pre-sales help and didn't even get the option to leave a message. The recording said to send an email which I did. A week later, still no answer.
You still working on this? C'mon, man, drill some holes and get 'er done! :)

But, really, don't overthink this - use the info you already have (above) and the directions with the system and the help info available on their website. All of that info is MORE than enough for this as it's really a quite straight forward install.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
My inquiry was along the lines of how well I can expect the SLT's's to perform on a 180.

The second thing I wanted to know is if SLT's can later be adapted to hydraulics as I read somewhere, perhaps this forum or maybe another.

Third question is if better to install on bare fiberglass or is over paint OK?

Still, I think they should answer the phone or return emails.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
My inquiry was along the lines of how well I can expect the TL's to perform on a 180.

The second thing I wanted to know is if TL's can later be adapted to hydraulics as I read somewhere, perhaps this forum or maybe another.

Still, I think they should answer the phone or return emails.
What's a "TL"? The OP was first talking about Lenco's, but then it morphed into the Bennett system and didn't your mention of this "TL" in previoius posts?

By bare fiberglass, do you mean gelcoat? Or do you think the gelcaot is paint and you're wondering about sanding off the gel to get to bare glass? The picture you posted is of regular gelcoat.

Yeah, responding would be nice. But don't be too hard on them - small companies are having a really hard time just trying to meet manufacturer's requests - and even those requests aren't always being filled on time.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
What's a "TL"? The OP was first talking about Lenco's, but then it morphed into the Bennett system and didn't your mention of this "TL" in previoius posts?

By bare fiberglass, do you mean gelcoat? Or do you think the gelcaot is paint and you're wondering about sanding off the gel to get to bare glass? The picture you posted is of regular gelcoat.

Yeah, responding would be nice. But don't be too hard on them - small companies are having a really hard time just trying to meet manufacturer's requests - and even those requests aren't always being filled on time.

My mistake, I meant Bennett SLT's, the self leveling spring loaded ones, I read somewhere it's possible to change them to hydraulics cylinders.

Yes, I meant bare gelcoat. I haven't bottom painted yet and wondering if recommended to install before painting.

seasick

Reaction score
If I read your message correctly, you are leaving messages about Lenco tabs on Bennett's phone line?
Is that correct?

I am not sure what you are asking about how well the tabs will perform.
If you have issues getting on plane, tabs may help. If side to side trim is an issue especially if you carry passengers who like to move from side to side while underway tabs will definitely help.
Your hull is small and for the most part whatever rolling you experience without tabs probably won't change very much with them ( my unscientific opinion)
Electric Lencos are easier to install, hands down.
Bennetts last longer and usually have fewer issues.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
No, I did not leave messages on Bennett's phone about Lenco tabs.

My inquiry was along the lines of how well I can expect the SLT's's to perform on a 180.

The second thing I wanted to know is if SLT's can later be adapted to hydraulics as I read somewhere, perhaps this forum or maybe another.