180 Sportsman vs 209 Escape vs Edwater 185 or 20' CC

Reaction score
Trying to find a nice late model 180 or 209 Escape (2001-2007). I know this is a Grady site but would like to hear arguments for or against a Edgewater 185 or 20' CC vs. GW. I would love to hear peoples opinions on one boat or the other. I typically Salmon fish by myself or one other person in Puget Sound but also need a family hauler for crabbing, camping and sightseeing in the Puget Sound, San Juans and Gulf Islands. Boat will also be used for nearshore W. Coast Vancouver island once a year. General Puget Sound conditions are pretty benign with 1-3' chop in the afternoons at worse.

I am leaning towards a 180 for fishing but then the 209 sounds better for family and gear but more of a pig for going out (launching from trailer) on those mornings fishing a few hours before work. Any thoughts are appreciated.

CLK

Reaction score
Nutty Squirrel said:
I am leaning towards a 180 for fishing but then the 209 sounds better for family and gear but more of a pig for going out (launching from trailer) on those mornings fishing a few hours before work. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I tend to fish & boat alot by myself too. I've found when the boat size isn't that great, say between an 18' & a 20' boat - then the time & effort to handle either becomes negligible.

My guess is the 209 will do everything for you that the 180 will do, however, family wise, the 180 might not do for you, what the 209 can.

Also, account now for the possibility of any potential '2 footitise' later. It'll save you time & money.

Best of luck!

Cheers!
~CLK

SAU

Reaction score
GWS180

NS,

I run a Sportsman out of Edmonds, fishing by myself, with a buddy or with the family. The Sportsman has met all my expectations. It is fast enough to take me up into the Canal, handles the skinny water I like to fish for SRC and is seaworthy in the face of the inevitable winds and 3 foot seas. It also doubles as a working boat for crab and shrimp, although space limits me to two pots. The high gunnels keep the kids in the boat. The deep v hull rides high and dry. And my F150 is reasonably fuel efficient. It is a fantastic boat for me.

I do envy the additional storage on the 209. And I would strongly consider the bigger boat to run the Straight and the San Juans. I don't know that water, but my perception of the bigger water would justify the bigger boat. I would also look to the 209 to fish with more than one partner. The 180 has room for one on the bow and one on the stern. I see Captain Keith (www.salmonguide.com) out there with four aboard his 209 and marvel at the elbow room on that boat.

Last but not least, keep in mind our climate in the Pacific NW isn't always favorable to the open console. While I enjoy layering up and feeling what mother nature offers, most of the guys eye me with suspicion from the warmth of their cabins.