180 vs 209

F18amec

Reaction score
Ahoy all, new member, love the sight great info, tips etc. The admiral finally gave me the green light to buy a boat. Always wanted a Grady and have narrowed it down to either a 180 or 209. Will be used it for fishing in S.Cheasapeake Bay, and Sounds in NE North Carolina and/or occasional run to Atlantic shelf off Hatteras. Will be mainly myself and son(13) and wife on occasion. Interesed to find out pros and cons of each, best buy for the buck etc. Advice/suggestions/opinions welcome.
Thanks in advance
F18amec

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
F18: Welcome to site and congratulations on a first post.

I'll offer my related experience. Our first Grady was the Spirit 175. It was 17'5" and it was the precursor to the 17'10" Sportsman 180. We had great times on that boat, including two crossings to Bimini.

Second boat was a 208, same hull as the 209, but in a walkaround layout.

The 208 was much more boat than simply 2'6" longer. No comparison of ride quality in a chop and its ability to use the relatively big shoulders and bow flare to push its way through bigger seas without stuffing the bow.

208 had much more room for gear and was less sensitive to how weight was distributed.

For either boat, trim tabs make a significant difference in the ride quality in a chop.

Of course trailering the 175 was much easier. When I made the switch to the 208, I was surprised at how much more wind resistance there was at highway speeds.

I have great memories of both boats. Good luck with your decision.

Rob

striped bass

Reaction score
If you are serious about the Atlantic shelf off of Hatteras go for the 209. If you can swing it financially the Tournament 225 would be a safer choice since you are taking a small child and the wife. Keep us posted.

tibeachguy

Reaction score
209 v/s 180

209 is alot more boat and better suited for your needs. I looked at both as well and thought the 209 was much more versatile. It is a whole lot more boat. In fact, most people with other brands of 20-21 foot boats think mine is bigger than there's. I was picking it up from the shop the other day and an aquintance of mine was picking up his 21 foot center console "Sea Boss". I was complimenting his boat and he said "well, mine is only 21ft". I said, "Mine is only 20". It is so deep he was thinking it was a 23Ft. It is safe, secure and handles the chop. Probably about the biggest 20 footer out there. But also makes easy to handle, tow, and load and unload and it is great for the family. You can stay inside and pull them on the tube (or they can pull you), anchor up and spend the day on the sandbar, or just cruise the waterway.

I fish offshore out of NC myself. The 209 handles it great. I am going to try and post a picture of a King from weekend before last.

05-17-08_1410.jpg

F18amec

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, truly appreciated.
I was talking with a friend that said Gradys don't make good drift platforms and tend to be unstable when not under power, lots of side to side roll. That doesn't seem consistant with what I've read, true or false?

Tibeachguy:Nice Fish, looking forward to getting a few myself!

jehines3

Reaction score
A good drift platform is a terrible runner and vica versa. I'd rather be able to get home when it kicks up then drift somewhere I lost my teeth getting to. My dock neighbor has a Carolina Skiff while a great drifter, if you like airboat turning and busting your a$$ in one footers. The thing is fast and efficient though. jh

gw204

Reaction score
F18amec said:
Thanks for the insight, truly appreciated.
I was talking with a friend that said Gradys don't make good drift platforms and tend to be unstable when not under power, lots of side to side roll. That doesn't seem consistant with what I've read, true or false?

Somewhat true. Grady's Sea V2 hull is a compromise between a true deep V and a modified V. You have a sharp entry to cut the chop and a flatter (usually 20 degree) stern to help stability. The idea was to get the best of both worlds and it works reasonably well. My 25' Sailfish rides much better than my buddies Parker 2520MV, but that boat drifts much better than mine and is more fuel efficient. A 25' Carolina Classic or 26' Regulator Express will run circles around me in the rough stuff, but I'll drift better than they will.

It's all about the trade offs.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Tibeachguy, Nice fish. How far out were you out of Hatteras?

F18amec: I have a '91 208. This past weekend I ran out of Littlecreek Naval base over to fishermans's Island. When we got on to the bay had good 2-3 footers and at one point the wind really kicked up as the front passed. The boat handled it just fine. I took my time and was able to make about 15 knots. But it was a nice dry ride over. Different story coming back in :D . We were parked next to a couple of other 20 footers and I can tell you that mine sure appeared to be a bit bigger.

When I go off shore I always try and buddy up with someone. That way if something happens at least you have help near by. So if you any of you guys want to buddy-up out of Hatteras let me know. I know this past weekend some nice Dolphin were taken off-shore.

HD

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
ROLLING

GW 204 is correct. Side to side roll has to do with the deadrise and displatement of the hull.
Flat bottom skiffs are a very stable platform but can't take a head sea worth a darn. Conversely, a deep Vee will plow through most anything but the stability is compromised. There is a trade-off.

capeguy

Reaction score
F18amec,
Here is my take on this topic having gone through a similar analysis a few years back. I bought the Sportsman 180 and have no regrets. It is all about your usage and needs.

There is no doubt the 209 is a bigger boat than the 180. But, just as the 209 is big for a 20' CC, the 180 is big for an 18'. I'm not talking about dimensions, but about ride, features, feel, appearance. I have numerous 20' owners that think my 180 is bigger than theirs, just as some will think the 209 is a 23'.

I comfortably fish two adults in the 180, and fairly comfortably 3. Four is a bit much but doable. My wife and 3 kids are comfortably accomodated.

I don't know your waters, but I boat on the South Shore of Boston and Cape Cod. Wind blown waves, not much of a swell. Sea conditions here are somewhat binary being either 3'+ or 1' and under. Because of my conditions, I don't think the 209 buys me much more capability than the 180. Both are great in calm waters, both can handle the 3'+ I might encounter when the afternoon SW picks up and I'm headed home from PTown. Obviously the 209 will handle it better. It is manageable but not a great deal of fun in the 180.

I doubt that I would leave the dock to venture offshore in the 209 on a day I would not in the 180. Its not that big of a difference. Where the difference comes in is coming home when it kicks up.

So in each case I have to pick my days carefully and keep a keen eye on the weather. If it kicks up, I head in.

For me to really increase the # of days running 10-20 miles out, I think I really would need to go up to 25' or more.

A couple of other things. The 209 is much heavier and will require a 200HP or more engine. I see many with 225HP. My 180 runs great with 130HP and a buddy has one with the 150HP 4S that turns it into a rocket. I tow very easily behind my 97 4Runner V6 with a 5000lb tow rating, I would be a lot closer to that rating with the 209.

The 180 is tight on storage (although it is good for an 18'), no room for a porta potti (not sure on the 209). THe 209 has better livewell, rod and fishbox storage. I also think the 180 is a bit small for a T Top where the 209 may be fine. My 180 fits in my garage, the 209 will not....

They are both superb boats that will seem large compared to other brands of the same size. If you are regularly in 2-3' ft seas, the 209 will likely make a big difference. If you're like me, it may not.

Enjoy the decision!

tibeachguy

Reaction score
Well said Capeguy! I concur.

However, I do know his waters. They don't call it the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" for nothing. If he is going to boat in that area he should get the biggest boat he can reasonable afford to buy, operate and tow. If that is the 18 I'm sure he will be satisfied. They are both great boats!! Like you said, he will just have to pick his days and keep a careful eye and ear out for the weather (which you should do with any boat).

For me, I just felt a little more comfortable in the 20. I wanted about as much boat as I could get with a single engine and that I could tow comfortably. Heck, like someone said, "buying a boat is all about compromise. Most of us would like to have MORE!