185 Tournament or older 192 Tournament

Toad

Reaction score
Now running a 1995 192T. Really a good boat for our use in Pensacola Bay and occasional trip to the Gulf. Our motor is a 175 Black Max original equipment. Simple ,good running 2 stroke, but fifteen years is a good run! Boat use: fun fishing ( not too serious), cruise to barrier island beaches, pull grandkids tubing, occasional scuba dive.
I have looked at repowering with a 150, but the cost is high enough to open the option of a newer but used boat.
I am not familiar with the 185T. It is shorter, narrower and less freeboard than the old 192T, yet it is heavier by 175 pounds. Where's the beef?
I have a nice live well now, don't see that item in a 185 or even in the 2010 192T.
Should I look for a 2000-2003 192 or a 2003-2007 185?
Can anyone give me a comparison of ride and handling?
Are trim tabs necessary? I only have motor tilt now.
Is the 4cyl. 115 HP enough on is the 4cyl.150 HP the way to go?
Would appreciate any input from folks with 185T/ 192 experience.
Thanks for your time and advice.

RICHNLE

Reaction score
I had the exact same sorts of questions 3 years ago when I was looking. I think they are both fine boats with advantages and disadvantages. I went with the 192 because it seemed much roomier in the area behind the windshield, which is where I wanted the room for fishing or accommodating a larger group of people. In particular, I noticed that there is a lot of room between the rear seat and the rear facing back to back seat on the 192. On the 185, the same seats are much closer together. The bow area on the 185 is roomier, which suits some people better.

I repowered my 192 to a 150hp four stroke, and I really like the setup. The boat planes out quickly even with a full load of people. 115 hp seems a little on the light side for the weight of the boat, but I have never been on one with 115, so I really do not know.

Good luck on your choice - there certainly is not a bad one to be made.