190 bow rider vs 20 overnighter

81Malibu

Reaction score
I'm a new member here and I'm looking at two Gradys. One is a 190 bow rider the other is a 20ft overnighter. Both need new engines. I have a 1996 Johnson 130hp that was a recent rebuild. I was looking for some input as to what would be the best choice with the engine I have. Thanks

mboyatt

Reaction score
Hey malibu. I have a tournament 192, which I believe is essentially the same as the 190 you are referring to. The boat is 19 feet and has the dual console and bow seating with walkthrough window. In my opinion, and others will chime in, the 19 dual console Grady whites are heavly little tanks. Mine has a 200 hp evinrude ocean pro, and the motor is definitely not too much for that boat. I have heard that 150 hp with the Grady 19 dual consoles is pretty much the minimum hp you want to be at. Regarding the 20 foot overnighter, I think the same can be said. 200 hp would be preferred, but you would need at least 150 hp. Bear in mind, I do not have the 20 overnighter, so I am going by what I have heard. I think you will find that for either of the boats you are looking at, you will need more power than the 130 hp you have. Just my thoughts. I am by no means an expert on this stuff. Good luck with your search. Keep at it and welcome to the forum. I too am new here, although I followed along for a couple of years before I purchased my boat. Take care.

81Malibu

Reaction score
The motor I have came off of my 21ft Striper wa and it moved it no problem. The 190 has a 110hp on it now and the overnighter has a 150hp on it. My motor only has 123 hours on which is why I want to keep it. I have no doubt that it will be fine on the 190. I'm more interested in seeing what the smallest motor anyone is running on the overnighter.

downtown

Reaction score
I have a 185 tournament with a 200 Yamaha. It flies. A 130 will be fine on the 190, but not sure how fast you need to go or where you boat. The bigger motor will get you through rough water a lot better. In changing out the motors you will need to check with whoever is doing the work what it's going to cost to install. If you need entirely different rigging, it can be a bit expensive.

81Malibu

Reaction score
When Sandy totaled my Striper I kept it instead of letting them take it to a salvage yard. I stripped her down completely and de-rigged her myself. In the process I found out that rigging the boat shouldn't be that difficult,there's only two plugs that connect the harness to the motor. I know the motor should be strong enough for the 190,but after going from a CC to a WA with a full enclosure I've been spoiled and would love the protection and cabin. I figure the smallest that would work on the overnighter would be a 150.

downtown

Reaction score
My tournament with the bimini top gives plenty of protection, especially with front flaps down. But if you want a small cabin, the Overnighter is the way to go. My tournament weighs about 4500. Not sure about the weight of the Overnighter. But should be easy to find.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I was introduced to Grady White back in 1989 when.my brother bought a 1986 190 with 140 hp Evinrude. I recall the boat did.move through the water pretty good but my brother said the boat was a little under powered. Perhaps if your budget allows would be find a 192 and sell your low hour motor? The CV2 hull is better riding than the non CV2 hulls and the 192 after 94 (I think) has it. I loved my 192 a lot and in some ways i wish we still.had her. I have not been on every 19 footer out there,.but the 192 is perhaps one of the biggest nicest riding boats on the water. Our 192 got us through massive storms in the Florida Keys. Great sea.worthy boat.

81Malibu

Reaction score
I wound up buying the 190. It was cheap and my engine, which was rebuilt in 09 and only has 123 hrs on it, should move her just fine. I was mainly looking for a boat to go with the engine I have. This boat is going to be a step down in amenities from what I had, but I'll make do. I was really looking to buy a 24WA with a bracket, but I guess this is just as good.

81Malibu

Reaction score
The PO of my Tarpon said his mechanic told him that he needed a new crank bearing on the motor. I had to check it out. I couldn't get any voltage on the motor,the main fuse kept blowing. I checked the controls and found a bad splice that melted every wire melted into one. I cut and repaired that section and changed the fuse. It cranked right over. I checked compression and it was good, hooked up a 3 gal tank and she fired right up. She ran smooth and I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. I pulled the original tank and it was good with only a little pitting but nothing too deep. I'm going to clean it up and coat it in coal tar epoxy. The only concern I have is the stringers sound a little wet on one side. I'm going to drill them and check before I go any further.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My brother had a 190 with 140 Evinrude on it and it seemed fine, this was about 18 years ago. I do recall him saying the power is on the middle low end. Your best bet is the 190. The boat 208 is more than just a foot longer. It is heavier and so forth. Just my 2 cents.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
if you planning on taking it into the ocean I would go with more hp- 150 for 190 and 175-200-- for the overnighter. If you boat in fresh water on a lake the 130 will be all you need provided you keep the weight down and dont plan on towing tubes or skis.