190 Tournament trim tabs

81Malibu

Reaction score
I just bought a 1982 Tournament. I'm going to put my 1996 Johnson 130hp on it. I have a set of trim tabs from my Striper that was totaled by Sandy and I was wondering if anyone thought that they were necessary on this boat. They are 12x12 Lenco tabs.

cuttyhunk

Reaction score
I have a 1996 Tournament192. I am considering trim tabs to trim the hull when I am running solo.
I have two batteries on the starboard side, so I list a bit to starboard when I am running solo. (I weigh 210#).
I have a Permatrim on my SWII 150 which really gets the boat up on a plane and controls fore and aft pitch nicely.
I would use the trim tabs to adjust the roll.
I am considering the Lenco's myself. Let me know how it works out.

Mike

Action_Jackson

Reaction score
I have an 1989 Tournament 190 with a 1989 130hp Yamaha. No need for the trim tabs at all. I purchased a Solas New Saturn SS prop 13-1/4"x17" higher rake prop meant for heavier hulls it is the perfect combo. Hole shot is good, I have never had an instance where anyone has had to move or adjust seats to get on plane. I only run a single battery, oil tank and a kicker plate in the rear I top out at about 35-37mph depending on the load. I haven't measure my bow attitude but it is fairly low on hole shot and while on plane. I guess it depends how much weight you have in the rear and to one side. It also depends on the motor, condition, how it runs but I can speak for mine that it is enough for the boat. Now if I had to re-power, I would opt for a 150-175hp but you get into the whole weight issue and water coming in the scuppers. My current motor is 385lbs, I am sure your Johnson is around the same. A new Etec is 418lbs and a new Yami 4 stroke is 468lbs...
Hope that helps. Jay