1977 Float On trailer problems

gradywhiteman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My boat came with an old Float-On 6000# gvw trailer. The trailer itself is in good shape but I have to rebuild the brake system and I am having trouble finding a drum brake actuator to fit the trailer. Has anyone had to do this to an old Float-On? Has anyone fabricated an adapter of sorts to fit readily available actuators?

seasick

Reaction score
gradywhiteman said:
My boat came with an old Float-On 6000# gvw trailer. The trailer itself is in good shape but I have to rebuild the brake system and I am having trouble finding a drum brake actuator to fit the trailer. Has anyone had to do this to an old Float-On? Has anyone fabricated an adapter of sorts to fit readily available actuators?

My first reaction to this was " A 33 year old trailer is in good condition?"
Wow!
I am not familiar with that year trailer but I would imagine that there would be a replacement coupler/actuator that would retrofit. In other words, replace both, not just the actuator.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Call Float On at 772-569-4440.

I'm guessing you can use any actuator (and a 6600 capacity actuator will set you back about $150 or so) but they can tell you for sure.

gradywhiteman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The trailer is aluminum I beam construction and where they come together in the front of the trailer they form the pocket that the coupler and actuator fit. The opening measures 3-3/4" wide by 5-1/2" tall so most of the actuator/couplers won't fit. The trailer being aluminum and galvanized construction is in good shape for its age, no bad corrosion areas that I can see. Just needs brakes on all wheels here in Ct. and I have to re-wire it.

richie rich

Reaction score
......."Do yourself a favor and upgrade to disc "...

absolutely...good advice....Tie Down Engineering Stainles Steel is a nice kit

gradywhiteman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about electric brakes? Can I get disc in electric?
I have been in contact with Float-On but not about the brake actuator, I will be calling them this week.

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Brakes

No don't go with electric, nothing but a disaster waiting to happen when used in saltwater. I have used http://shop.easternmarine.com/ a couple of times and have been very satisfied. I bought 4 calipers last summer from them.
They're in NJ and being in CT like I am, you can expect the parts in a couple days with normal shipping.

Do you know about our Southern New England GW Club? PM me for info.

richie rich

Reaction score
I agree with Sailfish....I have hydraulic surge disc brakes on 2 trailers and they work great....I would not go electric in salt water....