1977 Grady White, our first boating season...

a5t1

Reaction score
In the great north we have a relatively short boating season, I want to provide a quick recap of how our experience went, lessons learned and what the future plans are.

Background: I have two young children and wanted to introduce them to boating; I needed something versatile, comfortable, trailer-able and economical. We happened to find a 1977 Grady White 204C walk around. The boat had sat for 8 years, been in freshwater all of it's 640 hours of life. There aren't many options in this part of the country and I really wanted a cuddy cabin to get the kids out of the weather.

Inspection: Due to our location a survey wasn't possible. The initial cost of the boat was under $2500, I was comfortable with looking over the boat myself.
1) The fuel tank hatch needed to be re-cored, fairly common problem.
2) The transom is very solid, I was impressed. No stress cracks, no flexing. I tapped it out and there is some rot about 2 inches down, tones change after that, probe revealed hard, dry wood.
3) The GW is powered by a 1979 Merc 200hp, she has also sat for 8 years. Owner said it ran, condition unknown.
4) Comes with tandem axle bunk trailer, will need tires in the future and a paint job. PO replaced all bearings when I bought the boat.
5) Electrical - very basic but will need a rework of the fuse panel.

I was comfortable with the short comings of the boat, the initial financial cost, and the unknown. Not the best picture but what she looked like when I brought it home. Let the work being:

C5Vd5A.jpg

Repair

The first issue was fixing the hatch. After reading on here and a few youtube videos, I managed quite well IMO:

KqqHSh.jpg

I also had to fix the instrument console, I couldn't look at it any longer. From this:

wesL0C.jpg

To this:

dL8Xdo.jpg

At the same time I replaced the fuse panel, replaced all corroded wiring and ends with new wiring, tinned, and shrink wrapped connectors.

After that I replaced the water pump, thermostats, all fuel lines and got the engine running on muffs. It sounded fine and was time for a trial.

All went well on our trial, except the motor had a funny rattle type sound that would go away when giving it throttle. More on that later...

After a few outings, I wanted to be proud of how the boat looked, it probably hadn't been buffed or waxed in years. Again, after reading I tried using the Buff Magic product with my polisher, what a difference:

Just finished the starboard side of the floor:
A4AVDb.jpg

KjxvoH.jpg

ZbMHjI.jpg

j0YbFH.jpg

a9D1o1.jpg

(Even used it on some headlights:)

From this -
XnxfUp.jpg

To this -
WbvBQD.jpg

At this point I was really happy with how everything turned out, we even had her out in 4' Lake Superior swells and impressed with how the boat handled.

This is why we do it:

wPqTWU.jpg

V9NR5n.jpg

2J4ixo.jpg

A happy ending?

On my last fishing trip, my uncle and I were trying to figure out just what was the rattle noise. It would go away with throttle and the GW would top out around 45mph so I didn't think it was too serious.

What would cause engine noise at idle but then smooth out under load...

piston slap would get louder....

timing? Hmmm, timing could cause a rough idle. Maybe it's just the flywheel cover, it could be loose. If it was installed. Flywheel...flywheel. uh oh.

We got the boat back on the trailer and took it home to see if we were right...

YWxWSx.jpg

The good news is that we had no engine failure when on our trips. The bad news is the flywheel has play in it, the crank bearings are shot.

The good news is that I have (2) 1990 OMC 200hp outboards waiting for a home. I hope to get one mounted this weekend and order new controls and cables.

I'm still happy with the purchase and appreciate all of the insight this board has provided. Stay safe, be courteous to each other. I'll post an update when I get the new engine mounted..

suzukidave

Reaction score
excellent.

it cleaned up nicely. sorry about the motor but with two old evinrudes you seem good for a while longer.

i love the fact that if you take away the lapstrakes your 38 year old boat is basically the same as a model made today, and capable of generating family fun and memories indistinguishable from the new model.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Always loved the looks of the lapstrake Gradys, and yours looks like a nice one. That Buff Magic sure seems to do a nice job. I may get some to try on my dull finish.

seasick

Reaction score
Nice job. Enjoy but if I my comment, your children should be wearing life vests on the boat even if not underway.

a5t1

Reaction score
I was sitting next to my son, anchored in 3' of water. Although, looking at that picture again you cannot tell that's the case.

Kids always wear left jackets in the boat, underway or drifting. When anchored at a beach I let them take it off.

Also, Coast Guard regulation says all kids under 6 must wear lifejackets while underway, depending on where you live - they do not have to wear them below deck or in a cabin. I choose to have ours wear them.

seasick

Reaction score
a5t1 said:
I was sitting next to my son, anchored in 3' of water. Although, looking at that picture again you cannot tell that's the case.

Kids always wear left jackets in the boat, underway or drifting. When anchored at a beach I let them take it off.

Also, Coast Guard regulation says all kids under 6 must wear lifejackets while underway, depending on where you live - they do not have to wear them below deck or in a cabin. I choose to have ours wear them.
Great.. Have fun and keep safe:)

twinlks

Reaction score
Great job I had a Thompson years ago when children were small and always loved the look of the lap hull. What is this polish used? Like to try it on my 01 Grady 208.

a5t1

Reaction score
I used Buff Magic, it really works well.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Nice job. Nice to see an old lady has a new home.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This is a great example of how, with mechanical and restoration skills, one can enjoy an old boat and the vibe/aura that comes with it for a somewhat reasonable investment.

There is no way I would even attempt such a process as shown here, even if I had the skills and knowledge. I am not mechanically minded and don't enjoy that sort of thing, but I do dig older rigs; they are so cool.

My son bought me an old 16 ft. 1967 Donzi that needed a full restoration. The cost was staggering, as we had to have it done by a pro, but it was worth it. I still have it after 12 years.

There's nothing like an old boat. they have their own personality, smell and they have lived life. Each one, like their captains, is a little different.

Nice job..

a5t1

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words.

The boat is winterized and ready for next year. I did get another 200hp mounted but it's a 25" and I need a 20". Regardless, great first year.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just curious;

The pic with the boat nosed in toward the beach at anchor..

I would guess it to be Lake Michigan, Michigan side.

I recognize the sand, water color and seagrass in the background.

If not Lake Michigan, then Charlevoix. All the other ports on the West coast have brown water except for my 2nd home, Portage Lake.

Glad you had a neat 1st year.

a5t1

Reaction score
It's actually Lake Superior...as November rolls around not much boating to do except plan for next year.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That motor, having only seen fresh water may be a valuable parts motor.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Superior wow! Looks just like the N. L. Mi shoreline with the sand color, etc.

No wonder the family wasn't in above their knees. Does the water even get to 60 in the shallows?

a5t1

Reaction score
Harpoon said:
That motor, having only seen fresh water may be a valuable parts motor.

I would think so. I'd like to sell it off, please let me know if you know anyone who would be interested.

a5t1

Reaction score
magicalbill said:
Superior wow! Looks just like the N. L. Mi shoreline with the sand color, etc.

No wonder the family wasn't in above their knees. Does the water even get to 60 in the shallows?

lol, not too much. The water coming directly from superior was around 68 IIRC. The trade-off is no wait to launch the boat. During our 8 week boating season :)

a5t1

Reaction score
hummyjohnson said:
Nice job on the restore. What part of Lake Superior are you boating on? Had my Grady out last week and I haven't put her to bed yet... Last year we were in the Apostle Islands on December 3rd ;)

We are off of the Keweenaw Peninsula. I put it away early November, with little kids we weren't going to be going out anymore. It's been such a mild winter that there were a few days I regretted it.