1980 angler purchase on not ?

slolevi

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a 1980 grady white angler. the boat requires a new transom and several new stringers. I have the tools and ability to do the work, but I havn't attempted it before. Am I nuts? greg

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it's a real good price (just about free) and you don't mind doing the work and would enjoy seeing the finished product have at it. If you're doing it to resell, forget about it.

richie rich

Reaction score
Grog is on the money...lots of work here....its got to be cheap and for your own enjoyment, otherwise you'll have made someone else a nice boat and you'll never recover you sweat equity.

gw204

Reaction score
Check out www.classicmako.com to see what's involved in the process of replacing a transom, stringers, floor, etc. before you jump in with both feet. Estimate the cost of doing the job and then multiply that by 3...

slolevi

Reaction score
Thanks all. Realistic and sobering advice, I expected as much.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Estimate the time doing the job yourself, and multiply by three (3) !

If you are a DIYer, you can readily learn to do the work. If you are in a hurry to get the boat done and in use, forget it.

If you do it yorself having the time, the cost savings can be 80-90 percent since it' s mostly labor, vs hiring it out.

I expect you will be getting the boat for pennies, so if you find along the way it's time to throw in the towel, no big deal. Call the junk yard to haul it away!

To work with glass outdoor, you need seasonal temps, or otherwise indoor can work year round.