1980's Grady Fuel tanks

Jocose

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a new forum member. Thanks for allowing me on board.

I am looking at purchasing a older used Grady 19" tournament (mid-1980s vintage), and am keenly aware of the problems with the older boats, i.e., fuel tank and the stringers getting wet/rot. The boat I am looking at appears to be one of those well taken care of, and I have several questions that I hoped to run by those of you much more versed and skilled with these boats than I.

1. The current owner indicates the boat had the fuel tank replaced when it was 11 years old but does not know what they were made of. I thought the original aluminum tanks lasted around 20 years before the pitting and oxidation ate holes (?), so replacing after 11 years is curious. I understand the current custom for this fix (bad tanks) is to have custom SS tanks made to the original Grady tank specs for replacement (best solution). However, I wonder what might have been the custom in the 1990's--aluminum again, SS, or other? While I think this is good (the old tanks having been replaced already) I worry that replacements in the late 1990s, and only 11 years into the life of the boat, might have been replaced with another aluminum tank if replacement parts / tanks might have been available as original equipment and parts. Also, the boat is a 3+ hour drive to view and I did not want to make the drive only to find aluminum if I dug in a bit.

2. Also, if this boat passes the tank test, are there any tricks to be able to check the stringers for rot without tearing the decks up?

3. Lastly, since I have experienced Grady-ites on this Forum, is there anything else about the boat (mid 1980s model) Tournament that I should pay attention to?

I do appreciate any and all Grady-savvy Captain's counsel. Thanks for your time. IJ

Pez Vela

Reaction score
Jocose said:
...the boat is a 3+ hour drive to view and I did not want to make the drive only to find aluminum if I dug in a bit....

So, ask the owner to email pictures to you of all those accessible areas which are of concern. Perhaps he can Facetime you for a live chat and video tour. Popping off an inspection plate or two should be easy enough. There's no telling what previous owners may have done to the boat, so an inspection is your only option.

Jocose

Reaction score
Thanks Pez Vela...asking for pictures of under the deck inspection ports.. I know, duh. ij

mboyatt

Reaction score
I would hold out and continue to look for a mid 90s 192 Tournament. The 1994 and later models have the SeaV2 hulls and the euro transom with doors. I almost pulled the trigger on a mid 80s 19 Tournament, but spent an additional month looking and found a 94 model for 2 thousand more than the 80s boat. Well worth the little extra in cash. Mine was a 3 hour drive to look at. I made the drive to scope it out, then called and made an offer about 3 to 4 weeks later. If you are sold on the dual console boat, I would definitely grab one with the SeaV2 hull. Good luck!

Clockwork

Reaction score
Actually 5052 aluminum is what you want. Stainless will crack from oil canning over time as it is brittle. You typically don't see ss fuel tanks unless they are cylinder shaped because of this.

I've had 2 old gradys and my dad has one also a 1988, 1989 and 1990. All had badly corroded aluminum tanks but none actually leaked. Th 1989 seafarer had its original tanks replaced in 1996 which seems odd to me, just 7 years old. I just replaced my 1988 sailfish tanks with plastic ones.

Be grateful gw is one of very few manufacturers who make the floor removable over the tanks.

82seafarer

Reaction score
I was looking at a 94 Grady 22 Seafarer yesterday in the boat yard comparing the CV2 hull differences to my 89 Seafarer. The only differences I noticed was at the bow. The newer hull looked almost identical to my 73 Formula 233.
It had a very DEEP V at a steeper angle which would make it CUT into the water much better.
Not sure if there are other differences but I'm sure that would improve the ride in rough water.

Jocose

Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. Very helpful. We ended up purchasing a 1980 193 Grady "Holiday." Boat was babied by the previous owner (who is also the original owner) only taken to a lake once or twice a year for a family vacation. Rest of time under covers and under roof sitting on trailer. In amazing shape...even has original canvas in great shape. The boat looks like it has been on a showroom floor since 1980 or 1981.

So your counsel on the old tanks will in handy, as this Grady's tanks are 34 years old... sounds like when the time comes I probably should be replacing with the good grade aluminum or plastic. IJ

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
sounds like when the time comes I probably should be replacing with the good grade aluminum or plastic.

Seems I read somewhere that 'plastic' is no longer allowed in a confined space, perhaps due to permeability. While she may have been babied, she's still 34 years old. You might want to actually inspect the tank by pulling the floor panel, not terribly difficult ...