1981 Grady

Redoil

Reaction score
Driving along saw a 4sale sign -- 1981 22 ft with blown engine bought it for $1600. Is that good?

SlimJim

Reaction score
Redoil said:
Driving along saw a 4sale sign -- 1981 22 ft with blown engine bought it for $1600. Is that good?
A BLOWN ENGINE is never good.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not if there's extensive wood rot, etc. Could be more $$ involved getting it back to usuable condition. However, if everything on the hull checks out OK I would say it is a great deal :D

Redoil

Reaction score
Engine

Should I replace with the same V-6 inboard/outboard? Or is it better to put on a bracket and go with an outboard?

JeffN

Reaction score
IF the transom is good I think you would be ahead of the game to just replace the I/O. If the I/O package is origianal to the boat I would replace the whole thing intermediate, outdrive, and engine. The complete package. If the boat has been repowered recently you might get away with just the engine. The V-6 packages are reasonable and should go right in. If you opt for the bracket and outboard you will be rebuilding the transom anyway. Personally if you find the boat sound and purchase it I would just put the I/O back in either way. Check the boat out well.

Redoil

Reaction score
The guy I bought it from said he paid $1100 2 years ago to have the outdrive redone. I still don't know what's wrong with the engine. It has also had a lot of work done to it -- like new water jackets. The only information he shared (he drinks a bit) is that the left 3 cylinders are dead?? I assume he means no compression? and that the electrodes on the spark plugs were melted?

JeffN

Reaction score
Well as you already own the boat you might want to let a mech. look at it to get an idea of what is wrong with it. If you can get it running cheaply have at it. If that package is original I would not throw too much more money at it as a new one in the grand scheme is not all that expensive. You can fix it but there are still a bunch of old parts in there.

Dan

Reaction score
What is the brand of outdrive? Is it an OMC with thebig rubber covered hole in the transom?

Redoil

Reaction score
Yes -- OMC stern Drive with the big round rubber ring. I have the repair manual for it --

Redoil

Reaction score
So what kind of $$$ to put in new engine and stern drive?

JeffN

Reaction score
Are you going to put it in yourself or have a shop do it. I had forgotton about the OMCs, I would probably not put any money into one of those. Whoever repowers you will need the transom hole closed up and probably some stinger work.

Redoil

Reaction score
I'm probably going to let a shop do it -- but I'm thinking about an outboard instead. Does the bracket cover the stern drive hole and what HP for a 22 ft Overnighter? Current engine is a V6.

JeffN

Reaction score
Not much of a glass guy here but I would imagine you will need to patch the hole and then install the bracket. Again just my two cents but I would also guess you will need to add strength to the transom for the bracket. There are a few folks here that are putting brackets on the older I/O boats. I am anxious for someone to finish one and tell us how the boat handles the alteration. I have always been curious about how the older boats that were not designed for the bracket and weight that far astern handle this mod. Good luck and give us a report when you finish.