1982 kingfisher hull???

ripman

Reaction score
hello everyone, i am new here and to boating. im looking to buy a 254 1982 kingfisher. does anyone know what the hull is made from? is it a solid hull or wood core? also, the seller wants 15,000 for the boat. it has a new motor, 100 hours on it. its very clean. looks great! a few other things are new. the boat runs great and rides good. do you think that is to much money for a 30 year old boat? thanks...

JeffN

Reaction score
You are referring to the 25' Kingfish correct? To the best of my knowledge the boat has a solid glass bottom and cored sides and transom. A 254 Kingfish was a Sailfish with I/O power. Power options included twin 4s, twin V-6, and 350 singles. The single 454 was added later. What motor does the boat have now and when they repowered did they replace everything including the drive or just the motor? As to value I have no idea it is an old boat and IMO a lot depends on what is in it for a motor and drive, overall condition, and what kind of care it has received. If you are serious have a good survey done and if it has the old stringer OMC setup I would pass it up. I enjoy my '83 Kingfish but it requires a lot of care. I have owned my Kingfisher for 25 years and know what I have done to it and a pretty good idea of what it may require in the future. Not knowing the history of boat that old would be a big "if" for me. In general it has held up very well though, again IMO.

ripman

Reaction score
yes its a 25' it has a 350 mercruiser. the outdrive is a brovo one. its been on the boat for 2 seasons. it was serviced this year. the boat looks like new inside and out. everything looks clean im sure the guy took very good care of it. i feel that it is a little to much money but im not sure. thanks for all your information.

JeffN

Reaction score
Well you have a new motor and drive so that is certainly a plus. My original motors, twin 470s, were Mercruisers and my present power is also Mercruiser. I have had good experience with them. If you are seriously considering the boat have a survey done and go from there. Pay particular attention to transom, decks, motor beds and stringers. How did you find the performance with the 350?

ripman

Reaction score
thanks for all the info. i really dont know what im looking at when it comes to boats. i found the 350 a little under powered. it tops out at 24 mph and thats all out. it runs nice at 20-22 mph. at 20 its burning 13 gph. thats all fine with me. my fishing spot is only 3 miles from where i would keep the boat. i still would like if anyone thinks its to much money. i know its a hard question when you dont know what the boat looks like. im going to look at it again today. thanks to your help i have more questions for the guy and more things to look at. if i think all is good i will get a survey done. thanks again...

JeffN

Reaction score
I have to wonder if the boat has the correct prop. 24 seems a bit slow, what are you turning RPM wise wide open? I did have a conversation with someone at Grady back in the 90s and he said back then that the single 350s were a little doggie but 24 seems slower than I would expect. On the motor some where it should state the wide open RPM range are you within that range? Also ask the owner what other work was done when he repowered. How was the transom, did he replace bilge pumps, batteries, etc. As to value check around the web and see what that motor/drive combination costs and then it needs to be installed. That may shed some light on value along with of course the overall condition of the boat. What are simialr boats selling for in your area? Although an 82 boat with two year old power I would think is rare.

What did you find out today? Can you post some pictures?

ripman

Reaction score
the RPM on the motor says 4200 to 4600. wide open it runs at 4200. the guy said he called grady white to find the right prop. it has a fresh water 350 mercruiser with 100 hours on it. new gimble bearing, lower shift cable. all the bellows have been replaced. new bildge pump, fuel fill and vent hoses, 2 new 27 series batteries, blower vent hoses. new canvas on side and front of hard top. new bolsters and 3 cousions installed. new sunbrella fabric in interior new porta potty. new 9 gallon fresh water tank for sink and fresh water wash down. jrc radar, garmin split screen 541s unit. am fm cd sat. radio. vhf cg package. he said transom was good. i knocked on it and it felt soild to me. motor beds look great to me. stringers look good, from what i could see. i knocked on the sides of the boat and did not here anything. everything looks really good. had my friend there with me today. he knows a lot about boats and said it looks and runs well. he also said he would put a different prop on the boat. he said it should turn at 4600 not 4200. ill try to put a pic of the boat. thanks again...

ripman

Reaction score
sorry i cant put up any pics. i dont know what the problem is. maybe im doing something wrong. ill try again.

JeffN

Reaction score
ripman said:
sorry i cant put up any pics. i dont know what the problem is. maybe im doing something wrong. ill try again.

No big deal on the pics. Let us know what you do about the boat.