1983 Seafarer 226 what do you think of the open transom

millerlowlife

Reaction score
Looking into a 1983 Seafarer 226, with a 200 hp outboard, however it has an open transom not sure what i think about it any opinions?

seasick

Reaction score
My personal preference is a full height transom. I suppose if things are bad enough, it may not make a difference but I still feel more assured with that barrier back there.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had an 85 with an open transom. It was never an issue with back wash if that concerns you. It should have the fold down that is close to a full transom. I also had a Gulfstream with a full transom and bracket and although I never had an issue wtih the Seafarer, there was a more secure feeling - real or imagined with the full transom

GT

Reaction score
depends on how you'lluse the boat. fishing in sloppy seas and you may get water on the deck, not much. my 1992 seafarer rarely gets a wet deck and if it does the small amount of water never got closer to the helm than mid deck and always drained out very fast - 4 scuppers take care of a lot of water.

dlevitt

Reaction score
I have essentially the same boat - an '81 Bimini 220. It is my understanding that this became the Seafarer in '82 or '83. I have a '93 Evenrude 200 on the notched transom. I have never had a problem with that design. I do, however, keep the splashwell (I think that's what its called) up. Every once in a while, I'll get some "splash" on the deck, but it drains back out quickly.

The only issue with these boats is that under the aluminum cap on the transom is an opening that water has a tendency to seep into. Fortunately, I never had any structural problems, but decided to reinforce the wood with Git-Rot, which is a penetrating epoxy. Now I have 100% confidence in my hull.

I also find that the cabin windows leak during heavy rains, which for me isn't a big deal since I just store my fishing gear in there. It's not enough water to make a difference, but it could get annoying. I will silicone around all windows when the weather warms up a bit.

Overall, it is a great boat and has plenty of room to fish from. This was my first boat and I am really happy with my decision. Another thing to consider is that since many marina's (assuming that you will wet slip), charge by the foot. I would image that it is a few feet less without having the engines on the bracket.

The only thing that may change things for me is that I may be considering moving up to a larger boat with a larger cabin so that the entire family will enjoy boating. If I do, I will gladly list the boat and trailer here first.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

David

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you fish don't worry about it. Brackets put the engine out too far from the fisherman.

ocjoy

Reaction score
Open Transom

On my 1998 I don't have a poblem unless I am backing up and a wake from another boat may wash over. I like the rest,keep the back splash up and it usually just runs right out

ocjoy

Reaction score
Open Transom

On my 1998 I don't have a poblem unless I am backing up and a wake from another boat may wash over. I like the rest,keep the back splash up and it usually just runs right out

striped bass

Reaction score
It all depends on the water conditions you will use the boat in. Moderate water conditions should present no problems. If you plan some ocean and off shore useage the full transom is best. Check out David Pascoe's web site and his comments on notched transoms. Some of the Great Grady posters diss Pascoe's opinion, but I have found him to be right on when it comes to boats.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Miller, welcome!

The stern motor cutout is not that wide. I had a 20 ft Mako that had a cut out nearly big enough for three motors! Talk about exposure!

Motors on transom give you less storage space vs. a full transom.

If you are so concerned with safety, and you think you will be safe(r) with a closed transon, that's a mistake , why? It leads to not paying attention to sea conditions especially on a drift where the stern turns, as usual, into the wind, and wind against tide conditions.

Motor on transom has:

the best fishability
lowest purchase price
best access to the motor to untangle line on the prop shaft at sea
best access to the powerhead area and plugs for emergency troubleshooting / repair at sea or the dock
less chance for the prop to cavitate on following seas or big head seas
best protection to the forward side and front of the motor from taking wave/wake hits
best access to FW flushing port
less opportinity for the marinas to jack up footage charge
better trailer support on trailerables
highest riding transom so least chance to take sea water back up the scuppers onto the deck.
I'll think of some more .....

Drifter80

Reaction score
I've only had my 226 for half a season but it was actually very dry comp to some other 20-24 CC's and walkarounds I've been on.

dlevitt said:
The only issue with these boats is that under the aluminum cap on the transom is an opening that water has a tendency to seep into.
^That would be my main concern with the transom. I looked at a mid 80s Seafarer and it was totally rotten.

striped bass

Reaction score
BobP:

How are things in Montauk? Have you squeezed in any final fishing days before the foul weather set in?

I don't experience the problems you mentioned in your list. Also, I and my crew appreciate the engine noise being further aft. The full width transom platform makes engine access very easy. You mentioned that the notched transom is safer because the closed transom . . .

"leads to not paying attention to sea conditions especially on a drift where the stern turns, as usual, into the wind, and wind against tide conditions."

Your statement implies, then, that the notched transom is more susceptible to a pooped stern than the closed transom. Bob, why take the risk? Get a double insurance policy and get a closed transom and be vigilant of the sea conditions. Cheap insurance for the price. We are always wary of sea conditions especially with a following sea and I would expect that all of us Grady guys are as well.

Stay in touch.