1984 190 tourament question

el pescador 69

Reaction score
hello, i'm new to board and would like input to help me decide on the purchase of a 1984 190 tourament. the boat i would rate 8+ out of 10 by looking, one owner. he said everythingis in top shape with that said the orginal fuel tank , transom feels strong, also all floor area. the motor 1984 150 johnson, new power head as pistons ,coils , starter, new wiring recent. nothing done to lower unit except normal maintance. boat has vhf radio and new stero and speakers. bimini top and enclosuer with mooring cover. clean tandam 13" wheel galvanzed trailer. questions or 26 yr. old boat and motor what mainly need to inspect or un for seen problems on the hull itself. motor could be o.k but a gamble with no warranty. would 7000.00 askin be close.....thanks for any help.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I owned an '86 190 Tournament from 1996-2004...

Biggest things to look at are the engine (compression and lower unit pressure test)...the fuel tank (I had to replace mine)...the hatch over the in-floor fishbox (mine was soft and I had to reinforce it with a piece of plywood glassed into the underside of the lid.)

This is a pre Sea-V2 hull with a 20" transom....a solid, heavy ride but a rather wet one, as well.

Not sure if you will be trailering it or not, but on the trailer its about 4000lbs.

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
84 tournament

Hi

I own a 1985 Tournament. I bought it last year. It has a 1999 Suzuki 140 2 stroke. It is a great boat and I have had a lot of fun with it. I plan to move up one day, but right now it`s perfect for lakes and in shore and a little off-shore fishing.

That being said, my store goes like this. The boat was for sale for 6,500. However, it had been sitting a while, one of the seat sliders was broken and it was uncovered. Not a disaster but not clean. It was on a single Axle aluminum Trailer that was in decent shape, but had been in salt water and had a few rust spots. I printed out a bunch of listings from Edmunds and explained to the owner that comparable boats for 6,500 did not need as much work. The stripe was missing, ....mostly cosmetic things.

I ended up getting the boat for $4,200. knowing I could use it as is but would spend some money getting to where I wanted. The first year (last Year I bought new seats ($500). I bought new trailer tires and put in new bearings and lights ($250) Had a mechanic check out the motor and properly winterize it ($100). Got great use out of the boat, pulled kids on tubes, fished in the local lakes, and took it out to cape look-out.

Second year, (this year) Bought a new gas tank, have not installed yet, but plan to at the end of the season or sooner ($375) Had new bow cushions made ($100) Bought and applied new stripe and logo($125) So far, have taken the boat out to local lakes and no issues, plan to take it to the coast next week. The only worry I have now, is I noticed a stripped screw on the aluminum angle on the transom. After checking, it may need some work but it seems very solid and no flex. A local guy does sea-cast so I might do that at the end of the year. Could be $1,500

Check the transom screws in the aluminum cap, if nothing else you might be able to negotiate it down a little if they are soft.

So, my $4,200 boat so far has cost me an additional $1,450 which would be $5,650 after 2 years of use. None of the issues kept me from using the boat$. If I do the transom it will be plus a possible $1,500 for a total of $7,150. So, 7K would be reasonable if all of the above were done. I do like having a fuel injected motor and you will probably want a 4 stroke one day after you hear how quiet they are.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions and good luck, it is a fun boat, but you may want to shop around a little for a newer one or one with a newer motor.

Tom