1984 20 Overnighter Scupper Relocation Question

fdheld34

Reaction score
I am finishing up my transom redo on my 20' Overnighter and was wondering about relocating the two cockpit drain scuppers to exit on either hull side instead of transom..It would also free up some underside space with routing the hose at an almost 90 degree angle...Anyone done this??...would it be wise to do???? New thru hulls would be stainless and above water line...higher than original location on transom
All input appreciated.
-Fred

richie rich

Reaction score
Re: 20 Overnighter Scupper Relocation Question

As long as the scupper drain is lower than the deck...should be OK...I think a lot of the newer boats have it this way......but I would epoxy/glass in a block to the gunwale where your new hole will be because the angle of the gunwale may not allow it to compress square and cause leakage. You will probably need to eliminate the deep drop Perko deck drain with the backup ball and go with a more compact direct 90* style...otherwise the exit point will be too low........take a bunch of measurements and see where the drain will come out before doing any cutting...you definitely want to be above the waterline....which sometimes cant be said for some of the older Grady's.

fdheld34

Reaction score
Re: 20 Overnighter Scupper Relocation Question

Thanks so much for the info..never thought about the increase in angle...alot to take into consideration. I will def. take some measurements and see where everything falls. I want to try and eliminate the scupper thing altogether..Just dont want the darned boat to sink!!!
Fred

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Someone sells a deck drain that comes out a corner and runs horizontal, not down straight, this will allow a higher thru hull scupper.

Just don't recall at the moment, but probably will later.

The water level relative to the deck level will never change irrespective of hardware, so just be reminded.

fdheld34

Reaction score
Re: 1984 20 Overnighter Scupper Relocation Question-

Thanks for the reply...
Does anyone have pictures of routing location etc. of side thru hulls for deck draining??
I need to get some idea of how to route my hoses...I can post pics of my current setup and mabey someone can give me an idea of how to route hose out side thru hull instead of thru transom!!!?

Pictures would be greatly appreciated of side setups.
Fred

gw204

Reaction score
Here you can kind of see where the thru hulls for the aft fish well drains in my old 204F were. It was probably about 14" from the transom...

IMG_0417.jpg

I think what I would do is keep the existing scupper in the cockpit (which should exit straight through the vertical section in front of the aft seats if it's the same as the last 204 I saw), run a short section of hose to a 90 degree fitting and then run another short piece of hose to the hull side where you can install the thru-hull.

fdheld34

Reaction score
Brian..
You are correct on where the drain is located...underneath aft seats on vertical section...no floor drain etc...
I like the idea you have of keeping it straight from existing location and inserting 90 degree barbed fitting and then exit out the side...also thanks for the picture..I can now see where I should end up in relation to waterline...I think I can keep thru hull even a little higher...
I am going to play around with this idea this weekend, buy some thru hulls etc...and post some pictures before I begin the drilling process..going to keep all receipts if I change my mind :eek:
Will ask advice along the way..
thanks again...other ideas on this topic..including more pictures also appreciated!!!
-Fred

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think that could be a great idea, wish I had considered that when I was doin' my transom.
1. Anything that will get the scuppers further from the waterline is all good.
2. Fewer holes in a wood transom, again all good.
3. Less plumbing if done right could actually drain faster as well as add more open space below the boxes.

Hey Brian, how you doin', gettin out? Haven't been here much as I used to. How's the projects goin?