1985 208 Overnighter fuel tank dimensions

rboller

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Trying to see how to find these dimensions, don’t want to empty the tank and pull it out of the boat, tried emailing Grady White customer service, but have gotten no response (apparently, you can’t call them…). Any help would be great.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
How long ago did you contact them? They're usually pretty good with helping owners.

Does your boat have a removable hatch over the tank?

rboller

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
How long ago did you contact them? They're usually pretty good with helping owners.

Does your boat have a removable hatch over the tank?
Yes, and I have removed the hatch, can see the tank, can figure out length and width, just can’t find out if it is a V-shaped or V with flat bottom tank to get the depth dimensions. I contacted customer service probably a week ago and have not heard back yet.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Places were shut down over the holidays. This is first week back for many. Give them some time, I'm sure you weren't the only one to email them a question. They're playing catch up and should get back to you in time.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yeah, if you contacted them just over the holidays... well, they take breaks, too! :)

Here's an untested idea... Is there any space between one end of the tank and the bulkhead? All you need is enough space to stick a coat hanger down. Put a small hook at the end and you should be able to "feel" along the edge of the bottom of the tank. You can then use the coat hanger like a "dipstick" to measure the height at various spots and figure out the shape and dimension.

rboller

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Yeah, if you contacted them just over the holidays... well, they take breaks, too! :)

Here's an untested idea... Is there any space between one end of the tank and the bulkhead? All you need is enough space to stick a coat hanger down. Put a small hook at the end and you should be able to "feel" along the edge of the bottom of the tank. You can then use the coat hanger like a "dipstick" to measure the height at various spots and figure out the shape and dimension.

That was my next idea, except that all of my hangers in my house are now plastic, need to find something that will work for that, thanks for the suggestion.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
This is from my '89 Overnighter

Attachments

• 3357.jpeg
    3357.jpeg
    830.5 KB · Views: 28

rboller

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Cool, it looks like two out of the three dimensions match up with what I have, the only difference is your tank is 17 inches longer in my tank.

Thank you for the sketch!

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Cool, it looks like two out of the three dimensions match up with what I have, the only difference is your tank is 17 inches longer in my tank.

Thank you for the sketch!

Probably b/c the earlier ones came with 65 gallon tanks and later ones came optioned with 80 gallon tanks.

Reactions: rboller

rboller

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
And when I did my rough calculations for the volume, thinking it might have been a V shape on the bottom, it came out to about 69 gallons, so the 65 gallon number you reference seems to fall right in line if I do have that flat bottom instead of the V.

Thanks again for all the help!

rboller

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Also, is there anyway to get this tank made out of a plastic substance versus aluminum? Just curious.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
79gal? The factory tank was 65 gal at least for my ‘87 Overnighter.
I had a tank made up by Patriot Marine. It is 60 gal so it drops right in without hassle and I do believe I have the schematics for it in the file folder. I’ll post it later today or tomorrow.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Also, is there anyway to get this tank made out of a plastic substance versus aluminum? Just curious.
Check with Moeller. It's probably cost prohibitive to get one custom made, but you find one that is close enough in shape that it will work - or maybe just needs some minor modification to the coffin floor. The nice thing, of course, is that plastic doesn't corrode.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Guessing the size of the tank was increased in ‘88 or ‘89. I went digging thru my records and found the original brochure for the ‘87 Overnighter which lists the tank at 65 gal. The PO had it at 75 in his classified ad but it’s 65 for my year. I thought I had a schematic but if I did I can’t find it. I did find the receipt from Patriot with the dimensions of the new 60gsl tank at 63” x 22-1/2” . The original tank had to be cut in half to be removed as the deck opening was soooo close but still a tease not permitting it to be lifted out.
the new dimensions let me drop it right in and if I live long enough to out live this tank lift it back out if need be.
If you go aluminum go with Patriot Marine. (866-382-0154 “Paul”)
On the plastic tanks look up issues that can have with absorption of alcohol and moisture (yes plastic will absorb water, I know I worked in a factory years back making plastic car parts).

Last edited:

rboller

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Nice, thanks for the information! The 63” x 22 1/2” is the exact measurement I took of the tank initially. Good to know, cheers!

Reactions: Lt.Mike

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
79gal? The factory tank was 65 gal at least for my ‘87 Overnighter.
I had a tank made up by Patriot Marine. It is 60 gal so it drops right in without hassle and I do believe I have the schematics for it in the file folder. I’ll post it later today or tomorrow.

Yea I believe 88-up Overnighters were optioned with the 80 gallon tank. The extra length is under that hatch behind the bulkhead.

Flaviopereyra31

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I am also looking to replace my fuel tank for my overnighter. I found one through Moeller but the dimensions are 60 x 24. Does anyone here know if that fits? I would like to know before I take out the old tank.