1985 Tournament 190

kelly_3700

Reaction score
New here and hoping for some advice on buying my first GW. Found what I think is a decent deal. 1985 Tournament 190. Seats have all been re covered. All the wood trim has been redone. Motor is a 1985 Johnson 150 that has been completely gone through by local marina with warranty on rebuild. Transom is good and inspected by the marina. Has a 2001 EZ Loader galvanized tandem trailer. Has been stored in garage, needs a cover and the Bimini top frame and canvas. Needs a good cleaning and waxing, but over all in great condition. Anyone have an opinion on what it’s worth?

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
First - where are you located?
I could easily see that being listed for $12k depending on condition and location. (I don’t mean to ask location to poach the listing you found)

the reality is that many things could be at the point that need replacement soon if not maintained, or could break any minute. The engine will probably run fine for a while and then will need some work, so what that mechanic warranty covers is key.

second question - how long do you plan on keeping it?
if you plan to keep it short term and use it and flip it, could be fine. At some point this boat will need some work and if you are not up to it yourself you have to pay someone else.

third question - how handy are you? Anything can be fixed on an old boat, an outboard can be swapped out, a new gas tank could be put in, etc

What it’s worth - depends on a lot of factors, but an old well equipped boat could be worth plenty. An old boat without proper history of maintenance could be a money pit. Probably $5-8k I’m guessing. Trailer would be maybe $2k, engine next to nothing, boat and equipment the balance.

kelly_3700

Reaction score
First - where are you located?
I could easily see that being listed for $12k depending on condition and location. (I don’t mean to ask location to poach the listing you found)

the reality is that many things could be at the point that need replacement soon if not maintained, or could break any minute. The engine will probably run fine for a while and then will need some work, so what that mechanic warranty covers is key.

second question - how long do you plan on keeping it?
if you plan to keep it short term and use it and flip it, could be fine. At some point this boat will need some work and if you are not up to it yourself you have to pay someone else.

third question - how handy are you? Anything can be fixed on an old boat, an outboard can be swapped out, a new gas tank could be put in, etc

What it’s worth - depends on a lot of factors, but an old well equipped boat could be worth plenty. An old boat without proper history of maintenance could be a money pit. Probably $5-8k I’m guessing. Trailer would be maybe $2k, engine next to nothing, boat and equipment the balance.
Boat is in Arkansas and yes as with any older boat anything could go wrong and you’re taking a chance. The boat has mainly been used in Arkansas and Louisiana, this man has owned it 15 years and only used it fresh water fishing. He is now in his early 70’s and said it’s too much boat for him, he purchased a smaller aluminum v bottom. He has all his records for when he purchased till now. The boat will need general clean up and some TLC, but nothing I can’t take care of.

As far as keeping it…well…everything I’ve got is for sale for the right price. So I don’t know how long I’ll have it. But general issues I’ll take care of myself, even if i need to re do some things. I have redone 2 older boats and used those for about 2 years before selling. I’m not worried about the engine. He has receipts on everything done and a warranty on the motor, but again an impeller could go out at any point so it’s an old boat and can be fixed.

I was trying to get a general ball park on price to make sure it was a decent deal. Just didn’t want to pay too much and have to put a bunch of money in upgrading or extras. I know there is money I’m going to have to spend to get it the way i want it! I’ve never purchased a GW and never thought I’d own one, but have loved them since I was younger. I know the boats in good condition hold their value, but was unsure on a 35 year old boat, motor and trailer. Just trying to avoid getting hosed!

Reactions: PointedRose

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I know the boats in good condition hold their value, but was unsure on a 35 year old boat, motor and trailer. Just trying to avoid getting hosed!
I’d try to get it for $5k or less and limit how much gets pumped into the boat, enjoy it how it is. If you know the guy you might offer to help him power wash the boat and get a closer look at things - is water flowing into the bilge from somewhere topside, has the gas tank ever been replaced, does the transom show any stress cracks, water damage/intrusion, delamination of fiberglass, etc.

An older Johnson engine might be hard to find a mechanic to work on it, or parts. See if you can personally talk to the mechanic. Parts would be available but Johnson’s are no longer in production.

overall I would say the top end price with everything working is still less than $8-10k probably if you try to get out of it later. The trailer and boat will hold some value but I’d not assign any value to the engine at 40 years.

gas tank and transom would be primary concern (and trailer road worthiness)