1986 GW Sailfish 255

GW 255

Reaction score
Everyone keeps mentioning how much the tank replacement costs with this hull and it seems a little high. has anyone replaced both tanks and what did you replace them with. i have seen plenty of forums debating the new plastic tanks vs Aluminum.

GW 255

Reaction score
did you pay that much just for the tanks or for the entire job? im not too concerned with removal of the tanks and installing new ones but i would like to find a place to make the tanks that wont light my wallet on fire

Pez Vela

Reaction score
I was quoted that price without any breakdown between the cost of tank fabrication and the removal and replacement of the tanks and fuel lines. Having watched the job being done, I can tell you that removal of the old fuel lines was extremely difficult, and that part required two guys busting their asses for a long time. The original tanks were manufactured by Florida Marine Tanks, and I believe they still are available from them for a do-it-yourself project.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I wouldn't use anything but Aluminum for the tanks. They give support for the access panel and there is space between them and the stringers. given the space, there is a possibility of a poly tank rupturing because it isn't fully supported. The main tank is 150 gallons (possibly 175 depending on model) with a lot of surface area, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

No offence but if you aren't prepared to dump at around $10K in that boat after the $3K purchase, don't do it.

GW 255

Reaction score
that number seems a little high considering i would do all of the work on my own. i figure if the boat needs a transom rebuild and fuel tanks i will be looking at 4500 to 5000. though of course it can go much higher if it ends up needing new stringers but at that point i would just cut my losses and look for a solid hull without those issues.

gw204

Reaction score
Figure $10/gal for the tank itself and then add a couple hundred for new hoses, clamps, epoxy coating, etc.

I got the new tank for my 227 from Sunrise Marine Tanks in FL. Aluminum, 90 gallons, built to the dimensions Grady provided, w/ WEMA sender and shipped to MD (commercial address) for just under $800.

richie rich

Reaction score
And if you go with plastic they are not that much cheaper (for a given size) and you have different installation rules...they can't be foamed in and you must allow for breathability of the tank (permeation).....so you need to somehow vent the tank storage compartment so fumes never build up in the bilge from the fuel permeation.....its also hard to find a plastic fuel tank that will match the same dimensions as the original aluminum....so you will have odd ball shapes and probably less capacity to make an off the shelf plastic tank fit.......for around 2k or so, you can have the 2 tanks made, paint them in coal tar epoxy after some good prep/etching, and install them with the right supports...and they will last 20+ years...the boat will be ready for retirement at that time.....

gradydriver

Reaction score
Save your money until you can get a Sea V2 hull....you'll be glad you did :bang

Propwash

Reaction score
I am in the process of refurbing a '86 Sailfish. We just had tanks bilt for this boat in October. If you are getting quotes on a tank replacement, call Atlantic Coastal Welding, http://www.speedytanks.com. I had them build a 125 gallon and 73 gallon auxillary. With coal tar epoxy, sending units and fittings, shipped to Texas was around $2,675.00.
I have not replaced the fuel fill hoses yet. Any recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First step, find some big guys and cut a 3" piece of 1 1/2" wood dowel.

I pulled mine from the fill to the tank. So remove the old hose from the fill and insert the dowel halfway in and screw it to the hose. Push the new hose on the dowel and screw it down too and don't be shy with the # of screws. Now for the fun part, one person pushes the hose down while the other pulls from the other end. It's going to fight tooth and nail but it will come.

GW 255

Reaction score
Here's an update on the boat. I ended up buying the boat and managed to get it in the water both engines running...surprisingly. however i had multiple issues with the engines ranging from flywheels having the magnets drop out to a starter shearing the mounting bolts off the block. I had the boat hauled early to deal with the engines and have decided to repower with a single E-TEC 300 as to go with 150 twins would run me in the mid to high 30's. have rebuilt the transom as it was starting to fail in the corners. removed the aft fuel tank to help with how the boat sits in the water and i dont need two tanks to start with.

I have not had a chance to get the boat in the water yet as the fuel system is still being replaced minus the tank. Does anyone have experience with the 300 in a single application on a 255?

Clockwork

Reaction score
The old hull is just fine. The sv2 is better in a head sea, the old hull is better in a following sea, which is the more dangerous sea anyways.

JeffN

Reaction score
Glad you have made considerable progress on the boat. Nice going. I have no input on your engine choice, anything I could offer would just be a WAG. What is the weight difference between two 150s and the 300?

GW 255

Reaction score
its about 840 lbs for the pair of 150's and the 300 tips the scale at 528. so im saving 312 lbs by opting for the single also not to mention all of the gear that goes with it, oil tank, extra fuel lines and filters...etc.