1986 Sailfish butterfly window

HerbH

Reaction score
I have a 1986 25 'Grady White Sailfish and the port side butterfly window popped out.
How do I reinsert this without breaking the window ?
It is not a hindge but a slot which appears that you have to slide the window in from the top of the side window frame. Do I have to remove the entire side window to do this ?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Did the piece of glass pop out of the channel or the channel with glass came out as one ?

HerbH

Reaction score
The channel is still in place in the large side window just the butterfly window popped out. I tried tapping it in with a rubber mallet but did not have much luck. I was afraid to hit it any harder and break the window.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
As I recall the glass piece is bonded in the channel with a caulk like material.

Clean out the channel and the edge of glass of the old material. I used Boatlife lifeseal in clear to remake mine on my '87 204C. Coat glass and channel, ought to slide right in.

Never came out again.

Check your other side too.

HerbH

Reaction score
So you removed the channel on the fixed side window . Then you were able to slide the butterfyy window in the removed channel and resecure it back to the fixed window with the boatlife correct ?
Thanks so much for getting back to me, I was afraid I was going to have to remove the entire side glass in order to slide the butterfly back in.This sounds like a better way to go.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Herb, your window may be different.

My window piece of glass itself came loose and was dangling on the window closure device, probably would have broken the glass if it fell onto the walkaround. This was at sea mind you when it came out.

Nonetheless, I removed the closure device at the end with the two screws (fixed end), then the window's hinge can overtravel and comes right out of fixed framing.

So, you either can't get the glass piece back into it's track (hinge) or can't get the hinge back into the fixed framework, which is it?
if the latter, just needs to over travel a bit and it's out, or in.

HerbH

Reaction score
It's the latter. The butterfly window fell out with the metal piece still attached and the fixed side window hinge (slotted) is also still attached. And I did remove the rubber closing handles so I will try to over travel the window to put it back in .
Thanks I'll give it a try tonight.