1987 228G baitwell pump

beagleboy

Reaction score
I am not getting water into the transom livewell. It started to fill up yesterday (approx 1 qt) but shut down after. I have a raw water pickup strainer on the bottom of the boat, the cutoff valve is open, and a new Baitmaster pump inside the cuddy cabin. When I flip the toggle,I can here the pump running but no water flows to baitwell . The fuse is good.

I did install an in-line strainer to the pump as per directions but no water is flowing into it. The boat does have a y diverter valve at the stern but when I switch it between washdown and baitwell use there is no flow. When I fill up the livewell with water and activate the pump there are some bubbles that come out of the discharge tube into the livewell. Any ideas or ideas on how to troubleshoot?

seasick

Reaction score
Check if the new strainer has a specific direction for installation. It might be in backwards. Also check the connections and the strainer itself. You might be sucking air in.

catch22

Reaction score
Just wondering... with the pump way up in the cabin, maybe it's too far for the pump to draw water? You might have to move it back near the pick up.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Pump

How far is the Baitmaster pump from the water intake?

Your probably sucking air from somewhere. Make sure your fittings are tight and the strainer is together properly.

If you have two pumps why do you still use/need the divertor valve?

If it were mine I would put the pump next to the livewell pump. Install a Rule dual port livewell pump or a T-fitting before the livewell pump. Hook the washdown pump and strainer into the T. Eliminate the divertor valve.

http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8848

seasick

Reaction score
Is the Y valve new? If you instaled it incorrectly with the common leg connected to the washdown line instead of the thru hull, you will suck water /air from the washdown when you want to use the livewell.
Also, Hookup1 has a good point the distance. You may not be able to pull water that far. You can sort of check that that by disconnecting the connection at the diverter valve and putting the hose for the pump in a pail of water to see if the pump works.

beagleboy

Reaction score
There is only one pump w/ a divertor valve.The baitwell has worked previously but the washdown side has never worked. Now the baitwell will not fill up.

How can I test without putting boat into water?

catch22

Reaction score
beagleboy said:
There is only one pump w/ a divertor valve.The baitwell has worked previously but the washdown side has never worked. Now the baitwell will not fill up.

How can I test without putting boat into water?

The only way I can think of, is to disconnect the intake hose from the water pick up, and place it in a bucket of water.

I thought the typical location for your wasdown/livewell pump, (on a Seafarer) was under the livewell, in the bilge area. Did you or someone else move the pump up into the cabin? Again... that may be too far of a run, and you might have to move the pump back near the water pick up.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the washdown side of the Y valve never worked, but the live well worked, the Y valve is screwed up or the outlet hose to the washdown port/ valve is blocked.

If you need to troubleshoot on land, you are in trouble. You can take off the inlet hose to the thruhull valve and add an inine fitting with a short extender hose and drop in 5 gal bucket , not the same circumstances but can check a few things out.

Are you sure voltage and connections to motor are good?

Some of these pumps are not self priming, that's why how high they are mounted relative to waterline is relevant. I don't think that's the problem with your situation as you explained.