1987 GW 190 --Looking at buying this boat...What should I know first??

alan campbell

Reaction score
Interesting opportunity. I think it’s pretty much the same hull they build today. Watch out for soft decks and that rust in pictures is coming from somewhere. Fuel tank may be on the way out but they do tend to last. Engine possibly shot but do a compression check and vacuum check on lower unit. Two very expensive ends on the engine. I own a 91 24’ offshore and with minor issues it’s a great boat. Plus we fish and dive offshore out of VERO Beach Florida.
Alan c
VERO Beach Fl

alan campbell

Reaction score
I notice upon second look it appears to not be running off the main fuel tank. Only buy if you buy it right.
Have fun

alan campbell

Reaction score
The more I look the more I see. No bottom paint so engine and hull look great
Alan C

suzukidave

Reaction score
i think it is a 1986 not 1987. looks like a long leg transom and i believe they went to extra long in 1987. first two digits of serial number will tell.

i had a 1986 gw190 with a johnson 120 and it was a truly great boat. just loved it. mine would do 35 mph with a 15" prop at 6000 rpm and jump on plane. not a bad motor at all for that boat unless you need to exceed that speed.

but mine was also in a lot better condition than that one appears to be. there are so many unknowns there. condition of fuel tank and transom and stringers and waterlogging would be the top of the list.

if you are even thinking about it, i'd take it to a weigh scale and weigh it and then subtract the trailer weight. boat and motor should weight 2500 lbs dry. add fuel and whatever else.

i'd also pulls some transom screws and drill into the transom from the inside with a cordless drill and 1/8" drill bit to see what the drill tailings looked like.

shmoodog

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I notice upon second look it appears to not be running off the main fuel tank. Only buy if you buy it right.
Have fun
only asking 2k for the boat and trailer...deck seems quite solid. need to give the transom a closer look tomorrow. I am sure it will need electrical and wood(Teak) work..Probably straight up repower it...Also the fuel can in the picture is for a 7.5 kicker motor...Motor on the transom does run...contols are free and operating..

Last edited: