1987 GW Offshore 24 (242GS): 200 HP 4-stroke OB too small?

Roger Nick

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Boat is a Grady White Offshore 24, with a 200 HP 4-stroke on a bracket. GW specs dry weight around 3000 lbs.

What are your thought as to the size of the outboard. Is 200 HP underpowered?

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Is this by any chance the one in NY with the almost brand new Merc 200? Shame they didn't go a little higher on the HP because it looks pretty clean otherwise.

I think you're probably at the very lower boundary for what you'd want on that hull since it's rated for up to 300hp. However it's listed pretty cheap considering the brand new power. If you got the boat and really hated the performance, I'd be willing to bet you could flip that engine for close to full price of a new one given the lack of engine supply, then repower with whatever you could find on the used market (maybe a 250 2-stroke?).

Roger Nick

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, that's the boat. Thank you for your reply, and I too thought it was a bit underpowered.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think it depends on what you want to do with the boat. I have the same boat w/bracket and a 250HP and it absolutely rips out of the hole. I have no doubt for "general" all around boating that a 200HP would do decent. If you're going to have a good load in the boat most of the time or will be fighting large chop a lot... it can still work, but you'll working the engine harder.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have had 2 Offshores....one with a Yammi 250....one with an E Tec 225. 200hp is definitely at the low end. If you are running the bay with the family on short runs yu should be ok though...I often put 4 guys in the boat....loads of fishing gear and 100 gallons of gas or more.....200 would be less than ideal for me.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree with what others have said. The dry weight that you quoted is also somewhat low in that the version with the Grady drive on it will be 3,325lbs dry and before adding the outboard. I don’t have any experience with a 24’ Offshore but I do have a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer with a Yamaha F225 on it, of which it’s pretty close to the same dry weight (3,510lbs) and I honestly wouldn’t want to go with anything less than a 225. But like Blynch said above, you could always buy the boat, run it for a season or two, see how you like it and either sell the boat at that point or trade the engine in plus a few bucks for a larger one? I’m thinking you’d likely break even at the least if you did decide to go that route.

Last edited:

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
My boat is very similar and I thought the 225 was underpowered. It didn't give me enough control in sloppy weather. I couldn't imagine a 200.

Calm days with light use the 200 would get by.

Jacktrop99

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Boat is a Grady White Offshore 24, with a 200 HP 4-stroke on a bracket. GW specs dry weight around 3000 lbs.

What are your thought as to the size of the outboard. Is 200 HP underpowered?
I have a 228g with a 200 4 stroke v6 and it’s fairly slow but has plenty of torque, I do 32 at 5500 wot