1987 Seafarer vs.2014

killbipp

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Need advice. I’m familiar with my sister’s 2014 Seafarer, love the boat, she’s up in Seattle. There is a well-maintained 1987 Seafarer that has been upgraded and kitted out with a great salmon fishing set up that I’m thinking about. It’s an old boat but has newer Honda motor and kicker, new gas tank, fancy downriggers, lots of other things. Are there any pitfalls (other than the obvious old boat issues) that are inherent to the older Seafarers?

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It won’t have the same ride as the the 2014 as the Sea V2 hull wasn’t introduced until 1989.

Reactions: killbipp

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Imo a well cared for older boat can be just as reliable or more for you than a newer boat that has not been cared for. They were well built boats back then, hand laid fiberglass

I’m sure that @leeccoll will answer any of your questions! His is probably one of the cleanest older boats you can find, and a great package deal on the west coast.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Need advice. I’m familiar with my sister’s 2014 Seafarer, love the boat, she’s up in Seattle. There is a well-maintained 1987 Seafarer that has been upgraded and kitted out with a great salmon fishing set up that I’m thinking about. It’s an old boat but has newer Honda motor and kicker, new gas tank, fancy downriggers, lots of other things. Are there any pitfalls (other than the obvious old boat issues) that are inherent to the older Seafarers?
I have two complaints with my 1987 Seafarer, the lack of fuel economy and the ride. The newer designed hull is supposed to ride much nicer in chop, and the older design a bit more stable when drift fishing.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have two complaints with my 1987 Seafarer, the lack of fuel economy and the ride. The newer designed hull is supposed to ride much nicer in chop, and the older design a bit more stable when drift fishing.
My understanding (just from reading up on this topic) in addition to being more stable on drift was that the older hull design had better top end speed, better fuel economy, but the compromise was a bit more pounding in 3’-4’ chop. Curious as to others’ experience.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have been on both hulls, my '87 hull will pound more in moderate chop but when I added some weight in the cuddy to counterbalance the kicker motor addition, the hull feels like a tank when riding through waves. That doesn't mean it rides better than a SV-2, but good enough for me.

I get great fuel consumption from my Honda engines, the main BF200 4 stroke gets 2.8mpg cruising at 4000RPM.

Hulls last forever if there is no water intrusion, I will take an older boat if it sat in dry storage or on a trailer vs. a "newer hull" that sits in a slip 365 days a year.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
Hulls last forever if there is no water intrusion, I will take an older boat if it sat in dry storage or on a trailer vs. a "newer hull" that sits in a slip 365 days a year.
If someone were going to give me a boat, I would take the newer one! (especially if the newer one was a 2014 and the older one was an 87.

Reactions: killbipp

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've owned both hulls and what everyone is saying is spot on. Except for the fuel economy thing. The older hull is more fuel-efficient since it is lighter and has less wetted surface area when on plane. Yes, it will pound. Both hulls are dry for their size.

The handling is very different, especially at low speeds. The older hull design is very predictable during docking maneuvers while the SV2 is a challenge to get to know. The old hull stays on plane at lower speed. I can't say that the SV2 is any less stable at anchor or when trolling. Both are great fishing platforms for their size. The SV2 takes a good bit of tweaking when running on plane in different sea conditions. But once you get it figured out the ride is much better. The old hull doesn't even need tabs because the ride is pretty bumpy no matter what you do.

One more thing: The ergonomics, wiring layout, and overall fit and finish are better on the newer boats.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just pulled the trigger today on a 2004 228 Seafarer. The only other boats I’ve ever owned are a brand called Arima, of which my previous boat was a 21’ Sea Ranger. That boat has a modified vee, is very lightweight and all of the weight is in the rear of the boat. So… it will pound like crazy in 1-2’ chop. I did a sea trial run this morning in the 228 seafarer I mentioned above and we were in 1-2’ chop, but my goodness the ride quality was so much better. In the Arima you’d be getting pounded the whole time but the Grady just slices through the water. It also helps, as stated above, to learn how to adjust your trim tabs as well as the tilt/trim on your motor and that will smooth things out a bit as well. This is the first and only GW that I’ve been on but so far, I’ve been very impressed.

I’m not sure how the SV2 hull handles compared to the non SV2 hull but I imagine it’s must be considerably better since they didn’t switch back, and it’s been 30 years or so since they came out with the SV2 hull design. I personally just like the look of the newer style 228 Seafarers from 1998 and newer and am not a huge fan of wood trim or paneling on boats as I think it makes them look much older or dated. Not trying to knock anyone’s boat or anything, it’s just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

SirGrady226

Reaction score
My understanding (just from reading up on this topic) in addition to being more stable on drift was that the older hull design had better top end speed, better fuel economy, but the compromise was a bit more pounding in 3’-4’ chop. Curious as to others’ experience.
My original twin Johnson 140's are never going to get good fuel economy, so that complaint isn't anything to do with the hull design. But the weight of twins on the back most likely doesn't help the ride through chop.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
My original twin Johnson 140's are never going to get good fuel economy, so that complaint isn't anything to do with the hull design. But the weight of twins on the back most likely doesn't help the ride through chop.
Yes but you have the unicorn hull (226 with twins). I bet your boat handles amazing downsea in rough water.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Yes but you have the unicorn hull (226 with twins). I bet your boat handles amazing downsea in rough water.
It does well and is a very stable old hot rod, but it will most certainly fatigue your ankles and knees.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ah..got it. I didn't realize the SV2 arrived on different models in different years.
I didn’t either up until recently. I figured if they changed over one model then they would do the same to all of them. I saw this thread several months back. It has some good information on there but I wish they’d update some of the links and so forth as some don’t work anymore.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Also, it would help if you put your location in your signature or said where abouts you live. I’m guessing since you said “up in Seattle” and posted the boat that I believe is for sale in Las Vegas that you’re likely in that area?

rprieser

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
You got to be careful on this one. I have owned and restored 4 older Grady White boats and my current is a 1988 Gulfstream 232 which is a great ride. Somethings I would consider are not with the boat but yourself -- are you someone who is good at turning a wrench & has the time to turn that wrench? Maintenance cost no matter how good of condition the boat is in will occur bilge pumps, wiring issues, plumbing, & upgrades you want are going to arise. Consider this as most don't. The other common thread on ALL and I mean ALL older Grady Whites is the transom, the old saying is true: "There are two types of older Grady owners; those that have replaced their transom and those who will." It's not that big of a deal but something you should consider 232 Gulfstream.jpg

ESPECIALLY if the boat has been kept in the water. I could and should write a book on this subject -- one more thing: I live near and run the boat in salt water and after 2 years of chasing electrical issues I final ripped out all the boat wiring and replaced (not engine wiring but boat wiring -- to lights, live well pumps, stereo, etc).

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
as a 1987 seafarer owner: 1) the floor panels are likely soft and will need to be re-cored. Grady does not believe in epoxying holes and edges. 2) the forward bulkhead is likely rotted and if not replaced both port and starboard should be replaced. 3) replace the teak with starboard when you have a chance. 3) as always check your wiring maybe panel replacement time. I replaced my gas tank with a single 97 Gallon. upgraded from 225 2-stroke to 4 stroke eventually. As others have said no V2 hull but imho there's no issues outside cosmetic for the 1987

wlewis

Reaction score
On older models, I'd echo the transom issues. Also, the nylon through hull fittings crack and if not already replaced, will need replacing. Some aren't easy to access.

Reactions: DoctorOctopus