1988 19 Tournament Gas Tank Replacements

themissal

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hi all,

I bought an 88 Tournament 19 back in June. It's been a fresh water boat - but now is a salt water boat in a slip in NJ. The last few times we have been out (we have only been out about a half dozen times since we bought her), we filled with gas, and noticed a strong gas smell underway. I have done some internet research and searches, and have come across threads mentioning it might need new fuel lines, and a few threads mentioning it might need its tank replaced.

I am not sure about what this boat needs - and I am not too handy. The marina will do whatever needs be done.

Anyways, in case it needs a new tank, who makes them? are there drawings and sketches? I think it is 45 gallons based on this:

I have contacted RDS and Grady and left messages for call backs with both. I have also looked at Moeller's website - but I am not sure any of those would be a drop in replacement.

Any thoughts from you gentlemen? Anyone have the exact tank replacement model number from anywhere?

Thanks in advance for trying to help me...

Sal

Three

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I did mine ie had it done. There will be somebody in NJ who does boat fuel tanks. The will take the old one out use it for a pattern for the new one. Mine was $800 plus the cost of the tank. Usually its around $10 a gallon. Mine was also epoxy coated. While they are in there replace all the hoses. What I didn't do was replace the gasket on the fuel fill. Do that one also. Chances are good you will never have to touch anything again ! Its money very well spent !

themissal

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Thank you for responding... I am going to dig a bit around here. FWIW this is the sketch of the 1986-1988 Tournament 19 45 gallon tank from the manufacturer...

Attachments

• 45 GALLON 190.pdf
    27.6 KB · Views: 17

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Interesting... I always thought it was a 60 gallon tank (although I have a 2001 so maybe they switched to a bigger tank at some point)... or maybe I'm wrong!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
RDS built one for me for an '86 190 Tournament....they have plans and the one they did for me fit like a glove.

I'm pretty sure it was a 60 gallon tank....

dadsgirl

Reaction score
Our 1988 Seafarer had a strong gasoline odor right after a fill up. I thought it was a tank leak but it turned out to be a badly deteriorated filler hose from the filler neck to the tank.

Reactions: themissal

themissal

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
The marina has taken it out... on plane is when it leaks gas. They say there is a pinhole leak. I havent spoken to them yet (they closed after I saw their email). Is it a foregone conclusion that I need to have them replace the tank and all hoses etc? It's likely to be $1000 for the tank alone, and probably another thousand in hoses and labor.

Sully4755

Reaction score
check Patriot Marine Fabricators in Forked River NJ They made a tank for my Seafarer this past May, 93 Gallon tank was 792.00

Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Plus one on Paul @ Patriot Marine Fabricators!

20190625_132722.jpg

themissal

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I wanted to circle back gents...

The tank was in fact compromised near the top... pinholes... we were considering plugging it and finishing out the season, but we ultimately deemed it unsafe. The boat is being pulled this week, and our marina will arrange for a new tank to be made. They will install the tank and all new hoses later this fall, or possibly early spring.

This is not the outcome we wanted, but its an old boat that after we invest in these repairs will be rock solid. The 1998 Yamaha 2 stroke is in great shape, and with new hoses and tank, this will be a solid ride next year. Thanks for everyone's help on here.

Sal