1988 Overnighter dash rebuild and bulkhead replacement

CRHPaul

Reaction score
Great post, would like to see more pictures on the progress.

jrgrady

Reaction score
Well, progress has been limited since the weather has not been cooperating. If it was sunny, it was 20 degrees out, if it was above 40 degrees out, it was raining. Yesterday was a good day because it was 70 degrees and cloudy. Finished up the bodywork and gelcoated the repaired areas. Here are some pics of the progress to this point. The new gelcoated bulkhead is also sitting in place. The gelcoat looks like it doesnt match but the boat has to be wetsanded and buffed, then everything will jive.

007.jpg

0062.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010-1.jpg

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
WOW! Great work! That bulkhead look great. Still think you should make a kit to sell. I would sure be interested.

jrgrady

Reaction score
transom is solid as a rock. No flexing at all. Heres some more pics of progress today. I have to say that I am kind of dissapointed in minicraft gelcoat. After wet sanding, the match was not 100%.

0042.jpg

0033.jpg

0023.jpg

0012.jpg

reefer

Reaction score
awesome work man, I'm just about to do the bulkhead and wiring in the exact same boat. How did that instrument panel look when it was installed?

jrgrady

Reaction score
Fitted all the new panels in and it looks awesome. Just a little wiring and some other little projects and then were done.......for now.

012-1.jpg

013.jpg

And here is before.....

DSC00970.jpg

DSC00968.jpg

reefer

Reaction score
looks awesome - where did you pick up that steering wheel?

jrgrady

Reaction score
got it from a company called MESCO here in NJ. It is a wholesale company only, but they sell them at any boat place

conshykid

Reaction score
jrgrady, I have a question for you,I never worked with glass before and have to replace my bulkhead in my Offshore and I was going to use starboard but it dosent look to hard to do what you did with the plywood and glass,so I wanted to know after the pieces were cut what did you use to glass them?I was looking on the west system site and didnt know what products would be good for that application.I seen the 105 epoxy and the 410 low density filler but still unsure.

jrgrady

Reaction score
Uh yeah, I would have to suggest going with the starboard and letting Scott C do the cutting as he has the CNC machine to get straight accurate cuts. With mine, the cuts are only as straight as my hand is steady. Just my .02 As far as the west system goes, not real sure because I layed glass on the wood, then used a 3m filler to smooth everything out and gelcoat it. Its cheap to do

ScottC

Reaction score
Great pics guys! I would like to add the panel pics to my website if that is ok?

I am cutting a set of starboard bulkhead panels in a few days for T, I will post the pics, I will probalby make a tempplate set to re produce them too. They are a pretty cut and dry layout so I am expecting some really nice pieces when finished.

jrgrady

Reaction score
hey scott, I will take better pics of the finished job and post them. If you want I will email them to you as well so you can post them on your site

ScottC

Reaction score
jrgrady said:
hey scott, I will take better pics of the finished job and post them. If you want I will email them to you as well so you can post them on your site

Awesome, do that, give me some good pics and I will put them up

reefer

Reaction score
just in the middle of doing my bulkhead in black starboard and Scott has a gauge panel and switch panel in the works for me. Thanks for the motivation JRgrady

jrgrady

Reaction score
hey no problem, I love to rehab old boats that people think are no longer any good and cant shine anymore. My personal boat is a 78 robalo cc that shines like new. I'm going to have scott cut me some new panels for me too. Post some pics reefer, I wanna see

Offshore24NJ

Reaction score
gw204 said:
I like those gauges! Are they Faria Chesapeake SS? :)

My recommendation would be the build your panel on UV-stable Rowmark engraving stock and have the switch functions engraved in the panel itself. Also, IMHO the switches would be better layed out and more easily labeled if you put them all in a single row, side by side.

This is the panel I built for my 204. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

IMG_0513.jpg

Where did you get the supplies? and how did you engrave the functions?

larryshan20

Reaction score
Great thread. I am working on the inst and sw panels for mt '89 Overnighter now and plan to do the bulkhead next.
Larry