1988 trophy pro restoration

trophy pro

Reaction score
our beloved grady needs a little work. i live in mississippi. my grandfather bought this boat new from the dealership at new hope marina. i am 32 yrs old and have grown up fishing on this boat. she survived katrina in the dry storage facility @ cypress cove marina in venice la. she has the original 200 yamaha outboards. they still sing like birds. so im waiting as long as i can to turn loose that 30k. but here is my list of things to be done:
new feul tanks (on order from rds)
new trim tab acuators (ordered from boatfix)
new vhf antenna (on the way)
new fill, vent, feed fuel hoses (boatfix)
finnesse it II and collinite fleetwax (on the way) hull is extremely oxidized
new decals
a few tubes of 5200
wash down pressure hose

things i havent gotten yet
deck plates
pulpit recored
bulkhead in fuel compartment that goes inbetween aux and main is rotten looks like factory did not finish the top
want to replace all thru hulls with stainless
gonna try penetrol to restore the faux wood

Im sure there are things that i am forgetting i haven't recieved most of the stuff i ordered. many of you can probably help me fill in the gaps i know there are many diyers and professionals on this site and i hope to recieve input from anyone who can help. I have never done restoration work to a boat before, but am looking foward to "fixin up" (yep mississippi) our heirloom grady.

the transom was rebuilt about 8 yrs ago grady drive was reinstalled boat does not have bottom paint. drive stays full of water gonna reseal plates and all the way around. the paint has almost completely come off. what should i do about this?

all help is greatly appreciated

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
we seem to be 2 of a kind I bought an 88 trophy pro in '06 and have done most of the things you are getting ready to do. shoot me an e mail and i will send you pictuers and tips.

Lutefisk185@hotmail.com

Kenny

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Does the drive has the foam blocks inside or not ? Check via access ports on top, any port wil do.

Where is the drive leaking from ?

Where there is no longer paint, does the metal have small chips taken out of it, or is it just smooth with white dust ?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You're probably going to have to remove the bracket and assess the shape of the bracket. The engine mounting bolts are common leakers.

The decks aren't that bad of a job.
The thru-hulls, do you feel limber (some can be a PIA).
The pulpit is a real "fun" job. Getting the old core out without making too much more work is tricky.

It shouldn't be that bad and you'll have a good sense of accomplishment.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Hey Trophy Pro,
I took my bracket off and had it sand blasted and powder coated...inside and out. Now if only the weather would warm up enough so I can remount it. The sealant (5200) needs at least 60 degrees so it will set and cure properly.

Before I pulled my bracket I drained almost 4 gallons of water out of it. Like Gorg said...I think mine was leaking through the 2 bottom engine mount bolts.

Heavy Duty

trophy pro

Reaction score
just got the new tanks in from RDS. while scrubbing the tank holds out i noticed that the stringers appear to be ROTTEN!!!!! they were not fiberglassed(not sure if they were suppossed to be) i knew the bulkhead between the tanks was rotten, the top edge of it was not glassed. My fiberglass shop says they can replace the stringers. I'll have them check the transom also. had it rebuilt 10 years ago when the boat wasa ten years old. anyone know what i should expect the cost to be for replacing the stringers on the 88 trophy pro.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
For how far in linear feet forward is stringers wet/rotted ?

The mains run from the stern all the way forward to under the V berth.

The strigers rotted because water bypassed the deck cover screws, and/or seam between the deck and covers, most likely. Takes just one leaky screw. Not likely tabing leaked.

The stringers and bulkhead are egg crate mated intimately connected, easily transmit water between them.

The stringer tops are too high to catch water from normal bilge water level.

From inspecting the construction of my rig, Grady jig routers the tops of stringers / bulkheads to set the exact heigth relative to liner. Even though the tops are not glassed, it would not have mattered since the deck cover screws are vertical little funnels driven into the end grains.

Good project job for a DIY, as long as time is available.

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
trophy pro said:
our beloved grady needs a little work. i live in mississippi. my grandfather bought this boat new from the dealership at new hope marina. i am 32 yrs old and have grown up fishing on this boat. she survived katrina in the dry storage facility @ cypress cove marina in venice la. she has the original 200 yamaha outboards. they still sing like birds. so im waiting as long as i can to turn loose that 30k. but here is my list of things to be done:
new feul tanks (on order from rds)
new trim tab acuators (ordered from boatfix)
new vhf antenna (on the way)
new fill, vent, feed fuel hoses (boatfix)
finnesse it II and collinite fleetwax (on the way) hull is extremely oxidized
new decals
a few tubes of 5200
wash down pressure hose

things i havent gotten yet
deck plates
pulpit recored
bulkhead in fuel compartment that goes inbetween aux and main is rotten looks like factory did not finish the top
want to replace all thru hulls with stainless
gonna try penetrol to restore the faux wood

Im sure there are things that i am forgetting i haven't recieved most of the stuff i ordered. many of you can probably help me fill in the gaps i know there are many diyers and professionals on this site and i hope to recieve input from anyone who can help. I have never done restoration work to a boat before, but am looking foward to "fixin up" (yep mississippi) our heirloom grady.

the transom was rebuilt about 8 yrs ago grady drive was reinstalled boat does not have bottom paint. drive stays full of water gonna reseal plates and all the way around. the paint has almost completely come off. what should i do about this?

all help is greatly appreciated

well.....it may get a little ugly in there...the stringers rotted is not good...the bulkheads between the tanks is a normal thing,just about every g/w i do a fuel system on,these are rotted out...
i wouldn't even guess at a price,i would have to see the boat..

the bracket...if it's filling with water,it's gonna need to be checked out for the source of the leak...but either way,the bracket will need to be removed to be refinished...i reccomend sand blasting,followed by etch priming,then an epoxy coating,followed by a good 2 part primer,such as dura tec,then either awlgrip the bracket or squirt it with imron...