1989 208 Thru Hull Question

ibgary

Reaction score
Website
www.mypacificrealty.com
I just spent an hour searching the topic here and have not found the answer so here I go: My 1989 Onighter has a cracked plastic thru hull on port side that drains fishbox and helm deck. How in the world do you access the fitting, it seems humanly impossible. Also will be replacing the starboard thru hull. Any advice will be appreciated!

deucesuser

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the rubber seal has to come off from around the boat and all the screws taken out and the boat split in two. The top half will come off and then you can access this.
You will probably have to pay someone to do this for you. I am not sure what the top half weighs but I bet it's not light. I basically used some white caulk on mine when they split to seal the up. Just put some on my finger and filled the crack. Then wiped out excess. If one breaks off then you would have no choice.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What about make a hole on the floor or the wall of the fish box where the fitting is, do what you have to do and then put an access plate or better yet(for leaks) epoxy the cut out piece back to where it was.

richie rich

Reaction score
if its anything like a Sailfish from that era, its not accessable without cutting.....the drain for the fishbox is probably located on the aft outside corner correct? You may need to cut a 6 or 8 inch pie hole, like the fuel fill access plate, but right in the corner of the gunwale adjacent to the fishbox....this should give you access to the drain and the T-hull....but on the Sailfish, the T-hull is accessable through a factory pie plate located below in the bunk area under the helm. But you have to be Houdini to get in there.....

ibgary

Reaction score
Website
www.mypacificrealty.com
Heard from a former 208 owner in SD that he had the same challenge and accessed the fitting by removing the drawer box under the port helm pedestal for the seat. Really do not want to put a blade to the boat, but if necassary will be done. The plastic fittings are beyond re-sealing, time for metal. Still want to hear more on the subject, thanks all.

JeffN

Reaction score
I have found so far that while sometimes difficult I have been able to get to the back of all my thu hulls without cutting holes. Even the drain hoses and fuel and vent hoses have been doable. Had to get a little inventive when replacing the fishbox drain hose. If you have to cut in a Beckson port though no big deal. Keep looking you will figure it out.

ibgary

Reaction score
Website
www.mypacificrealty.com
Spent the afternoon gaining access to the thru hulls. Port helm accessed through tackle storage under seat by removing drawer cabinet entirely. Now I just need that long, skinny armed friend to reach into to help out. The tackle drawer glides need to be replace I discovered, "Sheerglide". Google and found the systems with no contact info, anyone know where to buy?? Thanks for all

antaris

Reaction score
thank god somebody mentioned this issue!

I am facing similar problems - my port baitbox seems to be leaking tiny drops of seawater. Sorry to say - as much as I love my 208 - but this is a serious design fault. Surely the designers should have considered the need to check, seal or replace these fittings.

It crossed my mind to break off the existing plastic fittings, epoxy the holes and make new ones towards the outside of the boat (i.e. away from centreline)... so that they'd be accessible from the existing beckson covers.

I will be replacing all with metal fittings when I pull her out for the winter. Will have to decide on the spot which solution to go for... keep us posted!

antaris

Reaction score
deucesuser said:
Unfortunately, the rubber seal has to come off from around the boat and all the screws taken out and the boat split in two. The top half will come off and then you can access this.
You will probably have to pay someone to do this for you. I am not sure what the top half weighs but I bet it's not light. I basically used some white caulk on mine when they split to seal the up. Just put some on my finger and filled the crack. Then wiped out excess. If one breaks off then you would have no choice.

I believe that the pipes must have (somehow, magically) been installed after the top part and hull were joined together during manufacturing. There is not enough length of tubing to allow for a reasonable space between the top and hull parts to be separated...let alone have some worked fit his/her hands and tighten up those through hulls...

ibgary

Reaction score
Website
www.mypacificrealty.com
Yesterday with the assistance of my skinny long armed friend we removed all plastic fittings below and above waterline. Today I'll purchase bronze fittings for exterior and s/s for helm drains. New hose and clamps and will install tomorrow. This is when the fun will really begin. Anybody know of solutions for the drawer glides??

Pay2Play

Reaction score
If you could, can you tell me if you found a decent price on the thru hull fittings and where. I need to do this soon also.

ibgary

Reaction score
Website
www.mypacificrealty.com
So far wholesalemarine.com is the winner. I will however buy at San Diego marine exchange to insure the right items the 1st time. Only a few bucks more. Got an email from Linda in the parts dept at Grady White, she is researching the drawer glides now.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
ibgary said:
So far wholesalemarine.com is the winner. I will however buy at San Diego marine exchange to insure the right items the 1st time. Only a few bucks more. Got an email from Linda in the parts dept at Grady White, she is researching the drawer glides now.

Gary,

Sounds like a PITA project, but you'll be pleased with the result. On mine, Grady upgraded all the thru-hulls to bronze when the hull was replaced under warranty. Also got a free bow pulpit out of the deal too. Nice to have skinny long armed friends, too! Sounds like you'll be ready to go as soon as these YFT get within range!

Eric

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
ibgary, I always manage to catch the tail end of these great discussions. The thruhull replacements always generate an enormous response. I am sure that some of you all will tend to agree that Grady lays out the thru hulls instead of a keel and then proceeds to build the boats around them. As JeffN states most of them can be accessed thru a little bit of creative thinking and a trained orangutan is also very helpful for the long reachs! Enjoy the battle! 8)

Ken

ibgary

Reaction score
Website
www.mypacificrealty.com
Thanks all, taking a little break to let the cuts on my arm heal, boats at the shop for service and returns on Monday for completion of job. Details to follow. New post will be on prop size