1989 Grady Question

Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a 1989 Grady White, but I don't know much about these boats. I am new to this size boat. I don't know many specifics at this time, but here is what I do know. It is a 1989 model, cuddy cabin, 26 ft, twin 150hp outboards (Yamaha I think), and comes with trailer. I'm not sure of the trailer type, or if it is a 2 or 3 axle trailer. The motors are mid 90's, 96 I think. They said it needs some cleaning. It has been sitting for about a year. The owner is good about taking care of his stuff. He is asking 15,000 for it. Does that seem like a good price from the limited information I have given. What are the benefits and disadvantages to this year model. What things do I need to look for when I am trying to decide whether or not to buy it. Like I said, I am new to this, and any help is greatly appreciated.

SlimJim

Reaction score
Turbodiesel600 said:
I am thinking about purchasing a 1989 Grady White, but I don't know much about these boats. I am new to this size boat. I don't know many specifics at this time, but here is what I do know. It is a 1989 model, cuddy cabin, 26 ft, twin 150hp outboards (Yamaha I think), and comes with trailer. I'm not sure of the trailer type, or if it is a 2 or 3 axle trailer. The motors are mid 90's, 96 I think. They said it needs some cleaning. It has been sitting for about a year. The owner is good about taking care of his stuff. He is asking 15,000 for it. Does that seem like a good price from the limited information I have given. What are the benefits and disadvantages to this year model. What things do I need to look for when I am trying to decide whether or not to buy it. Like I said, I am new to this, and any help is greatly appreciated.
pm Jimmy's marine service, he works on a lot of them and can give you some good info on what to look for, some of them from the 80ies had dry rot problems in the transom and stringers, (some of them) there are still a good about of them from the 80ies that are in great shape. Sounds like it could be a fair deal with a trailer and if the engines are in good shape. Best to you!

Reaction score
SlimJim said:
pm Jimmy's marine service, he works on a lot of them and can give you some good info on what to look for, some of them from the 80ies had dry rot problems in the transom and stringers, (some of them) there are still a good about of them from the 80ies that are in great shape. Sounds like it could be a fair deal with a trailer and if the engines are in good shape. Best to you!

Thanks for the input. I didn't really have a clue where to go for info.

Emerald-coast-Grady

Reaction score
Make sure transom isn't rotten #1 Check fuel tank(s) for corrosion/ fuel fill lines #2 Then check the deck and hatches for soft spots #3 Then after that the normal stuff windows leaking, pumps etc. Some of the others can go into greater detail this is what i would check to start with..

Amigo

Reaction score
Hire a boat surveyor to check it out for you. They can tell if there is moisture/rot problems. A good one will do a very good inspection for you and give you a written report. If you don't have a lot of experience with boats it can be an expensive risk not to have a surveyor.

On the engines - I would have a compression test done on each cylinder by a good mechanic. This will tell you if there is a weak cylinder which would eventually be very expensive. Also have the mechanic do a vacuum/compression test on the lower unit. This will tell you if the seals are OK. If there is a seal problem water will leak by the seals and possibly cause a gear and bearing failure.

If there is negative feedback from these inspections it gives you good leverage for offering a lower price if you still want the boat.

striped bass

Reaction score
Hire an qualified boar surveyor to check out the whole boat and use his/her moisture meter to go over the hull for moisture issues. Hire separately a Yamaha engine mechanic to survey the engines and do a leak down test. Very important. Your personal inspection is also a key issue. Ask yourself, "do I love this boat?". That will tell you a lot.

Take a few pics and post them for us, please. We'll all chime in, I'm sure.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
X3 on surveyor and tech-check. Then you'll know what you're getting into.

Older boats can be a lot of work - make sure you really enjoy tinkering or have lots of money to pay a pro. It's going to need work, you just don't want a junker, so get it checked out.

I've done both, my Alden yawl was built of wood in 1958 and had a 1958 mercedes diesel auxilliary. Talk about working on a boat all the time! Sure is fun though. Now? I'd rather just go fishing and drink some beer!

Reaction score
So a boat inspector is a definite. Does anyone know of a good one in the Birmingham Alabama area. I live in Georgia, but the boat is in Birmingham. I am not familiar with that area.

From my understanding, the boat has for the most part always been trailered. Would this make it less likely to have a rot problem?

Thank you all for your advice. It has helped my understanding a lot. If this boat turns out to be in bad shape, what year and model would be a good one to look for? I am looking for the cuddy cabin / walk around model, and will only be using it for fishing.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you're interrested in a late 80's Trophy Pro (Sailfish) check out the one Jimmy's selling. The problem areas are taken care of.

Depending upon youre budget, gw204's boat is CLEAN.

If the boat you're looking at is close enough to drive to check it out and see if it's worth surveying.

Amigo

Reaction score
No. Storage on a trailer would not preclude a rot problem. Rain water seeping through cracks would be the prime cause. If it is an outboarb boat have the surveyor look especially close at the transom.

Emerald-coast-Grady

Reaction score
Can't help you with a inspector. Just look on-line or maybe someone on here knows someone..The transom issue i would think could happen if it was trailered or docked. The problem is the sealant on metal strip on top of the transom. The sealant fails then water is introduced to the wood coring.

I'm in Douglasville..Where in Georgia are you from? Us Georgia boys seem to be few and far between on here.

On the question of which boat is for you, you know were gonna say a Grady. My thought is what ever your budget calls for...

Reaction score
Emerald-coast-Grady said:
Can't help you with a inspector. Just look on-line or maybe someone on here knows someone..The transom issue i would think could happen if it was trailered or docked. The problem is the sealant on metal strip on top of the transom. The sealant fails then water is introduced to the wood coring.

I'm in Douglasville..Where in Georgia are you from? Us Georgia boys seem to be few and far between on here.

On the question of which boat is for you, you know were gonna say a Grady. My thought is what ever your budget calls for...

I've been looking online, but have found anything yet. I'm going to make a few calls here in a minute. I wasn't sure about how the water usually got in to those areas. That is good info to know.

I'm down here around LaGrange. Yeah, I noticed the same thing.

I would like to stick with a Grady. That is all I have looked at so far. I just don't know enough about the different models, and difference in years to start a good search. Thanks.

Emerald-coast-Grady

Reaction score
Cool Lagrange is only about 45mins- hr from me. Where do you plan on using your Grady? West point??

The main difference between older and newer gradys is the SeaV2 hull design. Mine is a pre SeaV2 and i think it rides good, But the new design is suppose to be better. I stole this off this site on the years that the new design hulls were offered: Also look here http://www.gradywhite.com/customer/catalogs/ and you can see all the different gradys that have been produced..
Hull changes:
28 ft............1989
26 ft............1991
22-25 ft.......1992
208-209......1993

Reaction score
Cool Lagrange is only about 45mins- hr from me. Where do you plan on using your Grady? West point??

Yeah, it's not that far. It will mostly be used in the Gulf. We go to Florida down around Carrabelle and Apalachicola about 4 to 5 times a year. We are wanting something we can get out a little farther in. It will see West point though. We have found that it is a good place to wash the salt and sand off. Where do you use yours at?

Oh, thanks for that info. I appreciate it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Turbo, Gradys have a lot of wood in them, if shot in the worse case, will cost more much more to restore than you paid for the whole rig.

Ask your local boat repairers and restorers if they have a recommendation, they should. Suggest you not seek a recommendation from a boat broker or dealer, nor motor dealer.

Ask around. Interview each. They have specific areas they cover in the boats, and write a fancy report that is mostly boiler plate, just like home inspections. A lot of fluff.

Ask specifically what experience he / she has with old Gradys and finding wet or rotted wood, in stringer grid, coring, and transom, and that is specifically what you want to know about - all of it, not a sampling.
If after the survey, there is some nonesense in the report like "soft or flexing but servicable" statements, you will know what it means, its a code for "run like the dickens". Hope not, but if so they make good project boats if you become into that.

It makes little difference if it was drydocked or moored for two reason I can think of.
1. Rain doesn't miss drydocked boats.
2. Once water enters into wood spaces, it has no way to get out and stays forever doing it's thing, reaping havoc.

As far as engines go, you hire a Yamaha mechanic for a pre-purchase evaluation. Surveyors for small boats as a rule have nothing to do with motors. The Surveyor will advse on the price being appropriate.

I hope I didn't discourage you from this boat.
I'm out of touch with prices, but I bet the boat survey is about $550 and the motors $75 each.
Besides wood, other systems like fuel system wil be checked out too.

Have fun spending money, that's what boating is about !

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
What Bob said. I bought an 89 Grady Trophy Pro back in 2000. I had it surveyed and for the $19,500 I paid it was a fair deal. All the wood rot things for your sake better be looked at due to costs involved in repair. Also keep in mind that a repower will cost you around $30,000 and thats not chump change. Also keep in mind those older carbed motore will burn about 24 plus gph at cruise.

Things I had to do to mine that I bet yours also would.

Replaced rear bulkhead sections
Tanks
all thru hulls because the others are crappy plastic
all hoses to thru hulls
bow pulpit
Both gas tank floor cover sections

I repowered back in 06 since the motors got tired.
Includes digital tachs
controls

I still love the bitch though. :wink:

If you still love the style let me know mine will be up for sale soon because I'm looking to down grade.

Emerald-coast-Grady

Reaction score
Turbodiesel600 said:

Yeah, it's not that far. It will mostly be used in the Gulf. We go to Florida down around Carrabelle and Apalachicola about 4 to 5 times a year. We are wanting something we can get out a little farther in. It will see West point though. We have found that it is a good place to wash the salt and sand off. Where do you use yours at?

Oh, thanks for that info. I appreciate it.
We have a home in Santa Rosa Beach(Destin),Fl. If you decide to come down Destin way give me a hollar. I can hook you up with a few decent spots in the Gulf to fish on. We keep the boat in Douglasville during the winter and at the house in Santa Rosa Beach in summer..Don't know if you have tried this area or not but we think its great. Good luck with the boat hunt and post some pictures of your new girl when you get it...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Rumble - keep her, she ought to stay happy now for many years to come !

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
BobP said:
Rumble - keep her, she ought to stay happy now for many years to come !

Yea I have a feeling I will be for alot of reasons and the economy being at the top of the list. And after what I put into her nobody would give me what I would want anyway. Guess I will just have to suffer with a real nice little boat that runs like a champ afterall. :wink: