1989 Gulfstream 230 Forward Bilge

Reaction score
I was offshore a bit today, it was a little rougher than usual....After running about 6 miles, I dropped my prawn traps, and the another 6 mile pound to the fishing grounds...I set up my lines, and when I went into the cuddy to grab a beer, I noticed there was about an inch of water on the ground... I flipped on the bilge and it was gone in about a minute...

I've never had water inside there before, can someone tell me where it could have possibly come from? Is it possible because of the swells, some water that wound usually stay in the aft bilge moved to the forward? I'm a bit confused, and certainly don't want to travel too far is there's something serious around the corner..

Thanks

lgusto

Reaction score
My 2005 Gulfstream used to take on water in pounding seas until the rub rail was removed and the joint between the hull and the deck was completely resealed. This work was done by the dealer under warranty as it seemed the joint was never done properly.

As it was explained to me, no efforts to spray water in that joint resulted in any water coming aboard while the boat was sitting still. It was only when the hull flexed ever so slightly going into a head sea that the joint opened up enough for spray to come up under the rub rail and into the cabin.

Hope this helps. I know how frustrating it can be to have water in the boat from unknown sources.

Larry

Workdog

Reaction score
Water can come in as Larry says. There are other places it can come from also, such as a disconnected hose on a thruhull, under the bow nav lights if they are not sealed correctly, the windows, etc. The thing that would bother me as well is, why wasn't your bow float switch not working? It is either dirty/clogged, or it's inop. I would pull the beckson plate and and lift up on the float. Does the fwd bilge pump work? (maybe the float needs cleaned). Does it not work? Either the float switch is dead, or the wiring is bad, or maybe there is a fuze problem. You need to check that.

Reaction score
Workdog said:
Water can come in as Larry says. There are other places it can come from also, such as a disconnected hose on a thruhull, under the bow nav lights if they are not sealed correctly, the windows, etc. The thing that would bother me as well is, why wasn't your bow float switch not working? It is either dirty/clogged, or it's inop. I would pull the beckson plate and and lift up on the float. Does the fwd bilge pump work? (maybe the float needs cleaned). Does it not work? Either the float switch is dead, or the wiring is bad, or maybe there is a fuze problem. You need to check that.

Agreed, it concerned me too! Seems like both the bilge's work, but only manually. I have to flip the switch at the helm for them to work. I'll look the float switches over! Thanks