1989 Sailfish 252G drains and thru hulls questions

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hello all. Began work on my "new to me" 1989 Sailfish 252G. I have gotten alot of great information here. I have a question about the drains located forward and outboard of the helm seats. Neither of them drain, I tried using water pressure from a hose to see if it was just a little clogged but nothing...
Any info about whether these are supposed to be connected to a thru-hull and how to access them? I will also be inspecting and replacing as needed all through hulls and seacocks, so if any one can share their experience with accessing all these it would be a huge help. I know they are going to be a PITA but they are all old plastic and look pretty old from the outside, I'm sure they need changed. What about their hole and hose sizes? It sure would be nice to be able to buy some of the material I need to replace them before I start yanking out the old ones. I can't find any information (a diagram sure would have been nice) as to the size, routing and access to hoses and thru hulls.
Im also rewiring most everything, adding new fuse distribution panel and switch panel, several great posts on here already showing some great installations. Replacing and adding an additional bilge pump, new bilge pump hoses, new oil tank brackets ( I ordered the stainless steel ones I read about here from Artec) radio etc. Windlass doesn't operate, looks like an old Lewmar, will be trying to get that checked out. Much more I am sure...
Thanks for all your info.
Dave

GeeDub

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dave if you haven't yet contacted Grady regarding the thru hull sizes, you definitely should. I've read a number of threads on the board from others who have replaced theirs, and most if not all have reached out to Grady and Grady has happily supplied the exact measurements. Good luck with your projects - your list sounds like mine! :D

noXcuse

Reaction score
I would assume they are routed about the same on pretty much all Grady's. Where the drains are, look for the 6" round deck plate right above them on the front of the fishbox on the starboard side, and the cooler/livewell on the port side. That's the access to the thru-hulls and drains. It's possible that wasps have built nests in there and clogged them up. I would also check to make sure the hoses aren't broken completely off and draining right into the hull. If they are, that means sea water could be getting into the hull also, from the thru-hull end. That happened on my dad's old Grady, back in the 90's. Needless to say, he was thigh deep in water, about 70 miles offshore, until the USCG got there. I'm sure that wasn't fun.

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's! Found out the drains I was looking at just go straight through into the fishbox on starboard side and cooler on port side, someone filled them with silicone, must have been trying to keep them dry. Feel pretty dumb for not looking at them better before asking about them. :sorry
The others, well I'll definitely be opening and searching the little openings. Contacting Grady is a great idea. Any one have a contact number they have used?
I saw a great post by conshykid from several years ago...

viewtopic.php?t=6960

He was rewiring his 1989 242 offshore ( along with some other great fixes) and he had his live well out. I don't know if its in the same place as mine but if so I would sure like to know how to get it out, it looks like its molded into the helm deck as 1 piece. Would give good access to the pumps and hoses in that area.
Just finished cleaning out the bilge area, removed the yamaha oil tank brackets, all I needed to remove them was a vacuum cleaner! 2 big piles of rust. The new Artec stainless brackets arrived today, they look great!
Thanks again.
Dave

noXcuse

Reaction score
Straight from their website. This number is the same number I called looking for something a couple months ago. (252)752-2111