1989 sailfish scupper and seacock questions...

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm currently working on getting my just bought 1989 252g Sailfish seaworthy. I need to replace the deck drains including scuppers (and hoses). Right now the scuppers are white, with metal deck drains. Wondering whether to go back with the "plastic" scuppers or bronze. Do the bronze thru hull scuppers have rubber flaps in them and if so are they replaceable?
I also plan to replace all thru hulls. The under waterline ones on starboard side amidships look like a real job. She does not have seacocks on these 2 thru hulls, I don't know if there ever were. Can anyone tell me? If anyone has installed seacocks on these, how did you do it. The thru hull come thru the outer hull, then there is an inner liner which the hose passes through. Access to thru hole from inside the boat is practically impossible just to try to put hose clamps on. I will be accessing them thru a nearby 6" deck plate. I may have to enlarge that or cut a larger access area. any ideas tips on changing the thru hull and ideas about seacocks? Why aren't they there, and where/how to install them?
Thanks,
Dave

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi Dave - I swapped out all my "easy" through hulls that are above the water line with SS. I haven't tackled any of the really tough ones yet. There is lots of discussion here on through hulls - try using Google to find them. For example, drop the following line of text in the Google window and see what you get:

sailfish replace through hull fitting site:www.greatgrady.com

Cheers,
-Scott

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi Scott, thanks for the reply.
Yep, this one sounds just like me...viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9928#p64613
I want to replace both those below water line through hulls, it appears I too will have to cut a bigger access hole. Im thinking maybe I will cut around the area where the hoses go through the inner liner, put in a rectangular deck access plate, or maybe just make a plate out of a piece of 3/8" starboard, cut out holes in the plate just big enough for the hoses, run the hoses through it, screw and seal the plate onto the sidewall inner liner, then seal around the hoses as best I can with 4200 . As to the seacocks, I guess there never were any. I might install a ball valve on the hoses close to the plate, at least if the hose breaks somewhere in the hull and I happen to realize it, I can shut the valve. I guess a bilge alarm in the forward bilge area would be a good idea.
I was in the process of removing the old hoses for the scuppers and found one through hull for the starboard scupper was not tightened properly on the inside. I popped the scupper out and found wet wood around it. Wood is rotted around 8" up and towards the center of the transom. I will be taking it in to have, as well as the rest of the transom, evaluated. The rest of the transom appears solid, I hope, but we'll see. Thinking about having motors pulled, cut out shelf where batteries and oil tanks sit, pull bracket off and check the bolt holes too. Have the bracket refinished and painted while it off. I plan on having this boat for a while want to make it right. I know there is a lot of info here and elsewhere about restoring a transom, but I just dont have the time, and would prefer to get it done professionally. One day someone will thank me lol. I have plenty of other things I have to take care of before she's ready and the wife and I are getting antsy about getting out on the water again.
Thanks,
Dave