1989 salifish pod limitation

nedarb2

Reaction score
what are the absolute maxed out limits of a 1989 salifish pod do you guys think? out original 200's blew and we know it cant take 4-strokes, but what do you guys think about 225 hpdis?
we contacted grady and they said just stay close to 500lbs and we will be ok, i think the hpdis are about 525lbs a pice, is 50 lbs overall going to make a huge difference? i can stand on the pod and im 200lbs and its still solid lol.

also, are 225 hpdi's going to fit on the pod or are the cowling that much bigger than they use to be

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
If this is a new repower you are asking about then the largest HPDI Yamaha now makes is the 200 HP model. That would also be plenty of power for you.

nedarb2

Reaction score
we are looking at going used thanks cant afford new, there a few pairs with new powerheads and all te updates were checking out

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are you sure the 225's are salt water rated (if it matters)?

You really don't need more than 400 total HP for that hull. 50 pounds isn't going to make a difference. Since your $ range is used, HPDI's are your best solution. The new E-Tecs are nice but some of the older used models (pre-E-Tec) had issues, I wouldn't trust an older Opti (gonna get flamed for that), and there aren't that many 2-stroke Zukes around. You might even find a decent OX-66 pair which isn't as good on gas but will cost less.

As with all used motors they should be checked and weigh the cost/usable hours for the motors.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Consider 4 stroke Suzuki 175s, similar weight to 200 HPDIs

gw204

Reaction score
225 HPDI is a bass boat motor and only comes w/ a 20" shaft. They won't work on a Sailfish, you need 25"ers.

Sinclair

Reaction score
I have a 91 Sailfish and repowered it with Twin DF175 Suzuki's. I have had outstanding results. Make sure if you do it, check out your fuel tanks, plumbing and wiring. This is the time to do it right.

If there is anything I can do to help answer your questions, fire away. The guys on this site helped me out during my repower.

Good Luck

Sinclair :D

nedarb2

Reaction score
thanks alot guys,
yup weve already done the stringers plumbing fuel tanks and wiring lol so the motors are (i hope) all we need done lol
what kind of performance are the 175 zukes giving you?
thanks laot

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
sinclair what kind of performance do you get out of those zukes? our boats are of simular sized and weight, i have been thinking about repowering with DF175s but dont want to loose speed and power. thanks

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Capt K, why not take a drive over to Virginia Beach and take a ride with Sinclair, after all he did say the advise on this site did help him when he reached out.

How about it Sinclair?

Sinclair

Reaction score
Guys,

You are more than welcome to stop over. I'd be happy to show you the new addition. I'm fishing the Blue Water Classic next Thurs, Fri, & Sat. I'll be at Fishermans warf(rudee inlet) all of next week. Give me a shout and we'll get underway and you can see the boat & motors first hand.

To answer your questions about my power. My Sailfish was powered by Johnson 200 strokes. They loved to drink and smoke. I repowerd with Twin Suzuki DF175's. More power, less fuel, no smoke, no oil to add, no noise, and a 6 yr. warranty. My returning customers couldnt believe the difference. I just completed my 100hr service.

Just a list of the things I did prior to the repower. New gas tanks, got them from Patriot Maine in NJ. The only tanks I could find that were USCG certified. I picked them up in person and the guys gave me a tour of the plant. Very impressive. They even called me back to see if I was satisfied with the service I received. :D I replaced all of the plumbing, Fuel Lines, vents and wiring. I replaced my steering system also. All new electrical systems and batteries, shut off's etc. The new suzuki throttle system is very smooth. I even replaced my compass. I felt that If I was going to do it, do it right now. I did this repower with the thought in mind of reliability. So I replaced the entire machanical systems. The only thing I didnt replaced was my hot water heater, it showed no obvious sign of corrosion and produces very hot water. I did replace the breaker though.

I know you ask why suzuki. I have a service center at my marina. I know alot of crabbers & oysterman - watermen that repowered with suzuki. They have been very pleased with their fuel burn and reliability. This was the only 4stroke that I felt comfortable adding to my bracket, everything else was too heavy. I was tired of the smoke & oil of two strokes. I've had the HPDI's before and they were great, however when I found the DF175's IMHO they were in a class all together different. It's your investment, spend your money the way it works best for you. This is only a recap of my experience.

As I said before, give me a shout I would be happy to assist anyway possible.

Good luck on your repower.

Sinclair :D

Sinclair

Reaction score
Guys,

Here is some of my speed #'s from my Log book.

4200 rpms = 30 kts (gps)

5500 rpms = 42 kts (gps)

5900 rpms = 48 kts (gps)

I wrote these down at 60 hrs. The weather in the Ches. bay was moderate chop. The boat was loaded down with three anglers myself & mate. Water tanks full, gas main tank 3/4 Aux 1/2. Enroute from CH to Little Creek.

Hope this helps.

nedarb2

Reaction score
hey wow thanks alot,
so you think the 175's have more power than your old 200 2-strokes eh,
interesting and great to know
thanks alot :)