1989 Seafarer 228 - steering hoses and controls

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am looking to replace both my control cables as well as the steering hoses from the helm back on my 1989 228 Seafarer with a bracket. I am mounting up a 1998 Johnson 200HP engine and want to be proactive and replace all the hoses and cables. The other part I am looking for is the helm seal (behind the steering wheel)

so a few questions, I am looking for lengths for the steering hoses as well as the controls, but I think the controls are 22'
Also does anyone have a part number for the seal for behind the steering wheel.

Any links to online sources would be great as I don't have any local stores for anything.

Thanks for reading.

Ryan

seasick

Reaction score
barclayrl said:
I am looking to replace both my control cables as well as the steering hoses from the helm back on my 1989 228 Seafarer with a bracket. I am mounting up a 1998 Johnson 200HP engine and want to be proactive and replace all the hoses and cables. The other part I am looking for is the helm seal (behind the steering wheel)

so a few questions, I am looking for lengths for the steering hoses as well as the controls, but I think the controls are 22'
Also does anyone have a part number for the seal for behind the steering wheel.

Any links to online sources would be great as I don't have any local stores for anything.

Thanks for reading.

Ryan
The length of the control cables are usually printed on the outside of the cables themselves. They may look like a part number but the length should be obvious in that number. The printing may have worn off the exposed ends, especially near the motor so try to look at the ends near the helm if you can't find markings at the transom.
I don't know what helm seal you are referring to but it may be part of the steering box kit.

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I hav ethe seal figured out, But have look over several feet of the control cables and cant get any type of length. Someone said 22ft would do it? what if I went with 24 to be safe would that be ok?

Ryan

seasick

Reaction score
barclayrl said:
I hav ethe seal figured out, But have look over several feet of the control cables and cant get any type of length. Someone said 22ft would do it? what if I went with 24 to be safe would that be ok?

Ryan
Guessing is risky. Control cables are OK if a bit long but not if short. Even long, you may end up with an unwanted extra loop at the transom. Steering cables have to be just right.
You did say 'steering hoses' though and not specifically steering cable. That would imply that you have hydraulic steering. In that case, a bit long might be OK too, it depends on how much room there is in the cable/wiring chase to position extra tubing.
If you can't find the markings, you will have to pull the cables and measure. When pulling, attach a drag line ( length of rope) to be used to pull the new cables. You might want to pull a spare drag line when you install the new cables for future cable pulling.