1989 tounament value

crabbydad

Reaction score
checked out a 1989 tournament about a week ago. the guy is asking $4000 for it. Has a 150 Johnson VRO. i did a compression check and compression was ok. not sure if the motor has ever been rebuilt. Motor had a little "cough" when it ran. transom was solid. 1 stringer alongside the fishbox was weak but the floor felt solid when walking on it. bottom was painted and still had a few barnacles around the trailer bunks. Interior in good shape but missing the front cushions. Has a good bimini top and all the original snap on covers in good shape. new battery, new tires on trailer.any opinions on what it is worth?
Thanks

JoySea TOO

Reaction score
I spent 6K on mine in mid April, Previous owner had just put a new tandem alum trailer under it. i had no need of such quality as my ramp is 1/2 mile away. Still haven't figured out gas capacity, but i love this boat. Safe, roomy, comfortable. and i'm a yamaha fan. If i could have found one for 4k i would have jumped all over it. Having said that i have a lot of friends who are boat builders(fiberglass repair), welders(fuel tank replacemen)t, and Yamaha mechanics.

mboyatt

Reaction score
4k with the trailer and the motor running is spot on. You won't get one for cheaper than that running. That is a fair price. I am on the east Coast in NC and was seeing prices from 5k to 7500 for late 80s Tournaments. I ended up waiting for a 1994 model because I liked the way they changed the transom to the euro style transom. Ended up paying 8k. Boat came with trailer and 200 hp evinrude ocean pro. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with 4k. By the way, that motor should be bulletproof. Sucks the juice, but very reliable.

mboyatt

Reaction score
No, it does not affect the value. I would have preferred no bottom paint, but ended up with it because the boat was what I wanted and was in good shape. I haven't seen where this would detract from the value though. I think at 4k you can't go wrong. You will get many years service out of that tank. Who knows, you could always try to knock off an extra 500 bucks.

crabbydad

Reaction score
I just got back from picking it up. Got it for $2800. and 2 bottles of honey(I'm a beekeeper)

seasick

Reaction score
crabbydad said:
I just got back from picking it up. Got it for $2800. and 2 bottles of honey(I'm a beekeeper)
Sweet:)

mboyatt

Reaction score
That is insane! For that price I would take 2 of them. Great deal. You can't go wrong with that setup. Enjoy the tournament. :D