1990 232 Gulfstream Livewell Bottom Drain

darkarcher

Reaction score
The bottom drain in my livewell is broken. The pump came off of its mounting bracket and broke the plastic drain. I rigged it last year because I saw no reasonable way to access the fitting to replace it.

Any suggestions on accessing that area to remove the broken fitting and replacing it.

Thanks!!

If this ends up being a double post I sincerely apologize

darkarcher

Reaction score
This is not a picture of mine but this is extremely similar to what is broken in my livewell. the drain in the bottom.

I want one of those arms that hold it open as well.

Attachments

• drain_livewell.jpg
    drain_livewell.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,648

gw204

Reaction score
My 227 is a bit different but I also had/need to replace the drains in my fish boxes.

Since I already had the fuel tank out...and I didn't want to put holes in the floor for more deckplates...I cut a small (about 6" x 8") section out of each stringer so I could reach in under the deck and get to the fittings. Once I get them replaced I'll cover/seal the holes up.

darkarcher

Reaction score
OUCH!

Don't want to have to do that. I already pulled the passenger drawers out. I may find a small child that can fit in that hole. (just kidding)

I was hoping there was someone who had suffered through this and stumbled upon an "AHA!!" moment they would share.

gw204

Reaction score
Yeah, that would be a little excessive in your case. :)

If I were you I would get a big hole saw and run it through the bottom of the livewell. Replace the fitting, glass the plug back in, fair and gelcoat.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If Gulfstream is like my 252 model, you should have a access panel facing rear and to the left of your livewell. I accessed mine last year and replaced the drain fitting. I replaced the access panel with a speaker and they work great here.

Attachments

• Speaker.jpg
    Speaker.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,589

gw204

Reaction score
My 227 has those deckplates and there was no way in hell I could reach anything under the fishbox/livewell.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I will admit it was a little bit of a stretch, but my arms are pretty large and I was able to work with it. Hardest part was removal of the hose and then the 90 degree elbow was bottomed out so not a lot of wiggle room. I could not have one are in the livewell and one in the hole at the same time, so it became a 2 person job when re-installing and tighening up.
You might have to chip out some foam that is in the way.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The arm that holds the lid open is made by Ameritool. You can get them at maxumhardware.com.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've seen holes cut in the bottom of the livewell to get access and to get new hoses on, then re-glass and gel coat.