1990 242g offshore w/twin 135 opti's ?

frat

Reaction score
I'm looking at a nice looking'90 - 242gt offshore with twin merc. 135 optimax's on a bracket. I've heard the ride was rough (pounds)compared to the newer seav2 hull. Is this boat worth buying for a fishing machine offshore in Northern California. Any owners out there that can help me with info on this model? This hull was one of Grady's best sellers. There must be some good things about this model, right?

Thanks,
Mark
925 683-5416

jellyfish

Reaction score
I had that same boat in Northern Cal (SF Bay and Ocean) and it was a pounder in the bay big time. Wet as well. We get wind almost every afternoon in the bay. Go for a boat ride on her first before you buy. Also I think the boat is going to be under powered. I had a F225 on my boat and she was no speed demon. 135 hp is not much for a 24ft by 8 foot boat. I wish you the best.

fishingstories

Reaction score
frat. i just got back from a 50 mile offshore excursion today. i own a 24 offshore single 225, but i went on a buddy 90 offshore 24 with twin 2002 honda 130s. yes we got banged up today. but it was more of a weight issue. his scupper was around 3 inches below the water. we had to plug the deck drain hole just to keep out water or else we had 12 inches deep of water in the back. wtf! the last time i ran my offshore, i thought it wasnt bad. had 3 footers went around 25 miles and occasional slam so I slow it down and move the crew more forward and the ride was better. Oh, my trim tab made the difference ! hope this helps. the plus is that we can fish 6 people in the spacious deck. Love it!

frat

Reaction score
242 offshore

Hi Fishingstories,
Thanks for the reply. It's nice to hear somone say something good about the offshores. The boat i'm looking at has trim tabs also. I hear they are a must. I am concerned about the scupper issue and the ride. The honda 4 strokes are heavier than the merc optimax's i'm looking at. I haven't been on the boat in the water yet so i don't know how it sits or rides. I sure like the large fishing cockpit on the 242 with the motors on the bracket. I sure would like to talk more about this model. If you have some time could you call me tomorrow. I want to know as much as i can before making a purchace decision.

Thanks,
Mark
925 683-5416

jellyfish

Reaction score
Mark, Did you take a ride on her yet? Sorry I have been on the road the last two days. Let me know if I can help you out. The bay is awesome this week. Jim

frat

Reaction score
hey jellyfish,

No I haven't yet. I'm not sure what to do. The guy wants $50 for the sea trail if i dont purchace the boat. I spoke with a couple of guys from South Carolina and Louisiana i think. They said they love their 24 offshores. They both said if you get into bigger chop you just slow down a bit and you plow right through it. The guys say it's a tank. They like the boat for all the reasons i am interested in it. The large fishing deck and the newer outboards are nice. Good range with the twin fuel tanks of 150 gallons total.Hard top with furuno radar and furuno gps/depth. I have been salmon, striper and halibut fishing the ocean and bay for 10 yrs now with my little Wellcraft v20 with and old '85 merc. 150 hp. I don't have alot of money to spend so i thought this would be a nice upgrade for me.

Thanks, Mark
is there a # i can call you at? I'd like to talk mopre about it.
925 683-5416

fishingstories

Reaction score
frat,

good luck on that I would love to hear how that twin optis perform. it would help me on my decision to go single or twins.

jellyfish

Reaction score
Mark, I had a single engine so I can't speak for twins on that hull. I was born in SF and have fished the bay and ocean all my life, I owned a 47 ft charter boat in the bay area and have commercial fished the area as well. Albacore, Salmon, bass, rock cod, halibut, crab. My dad ran charter boats and commercial fished in SF in the since 1950. As you know the SF Bay and ocean is not like other areas, and not like the SE areas. That being said, the 242 I had had a hard top as well. I would get my a$$ kicked in the afternoon in the SF bay trying to get home. You will not be able to plow thru wave after wave with that hull without taking a beating and having a hard top will add weight to her. If I were you put a deposit on the boat or pay the guy $50 bucks and take her out for a good ride, ride her in the afternoon with a good wind chop in the bay. See how well she takes it and then if you like the ride buy her. It sounds like you want to buy the boat and its a good deal. There are very few Gradys for sale in our area and very few good deals. I just don't want to see you buy a Grady because it was a good deal and had nice engines only to find out its the wrong boat for how you want to use the boat. If you fish in the ocean and bay, you need to be careful with the boat you buy. It could be a good deal for you and the right boat. I loved my 242 I just did not like the pounding and beating I took in the bay and ocean.

catch22

Reaction score
frat said:
I spoke with a couple of guys from South Carolina and Louisiana i think. They said they love their 24 offshores. They both said if you get into bigger chop you just slow down a bit and you plow right through it. The guys say it's a tank. They like the boat for all the reasons i am interested in it. The large fishing deck and the newer outboards are nice. Good range with the twin fuel tanks of 150 gallons total.Hard top with furuno radar and furuno gps/depth. I have been salmon, striper and halibut fishing the ocean and bay for 10 yrs now with my little Wellcraft v20 with and old '85 merc. 150 hp. I don't have alot of money to spend so i thought this would be a nice upgrade for me.

I had an 85 Offshore and I loved the boat. Enormous cockpit, deep gunnels and big fish box's. Had it out to the Baltimore canyon, (70 miles) and plenty of trips beyond 50 miles. I also had 2 Overnighters, (both non Sea V2 hulls) and imo, they were very good too. Are the Sea V hulls better... absolutely, but as long as the hull is in good shape, I wouldn't hesitate to own a non Sea V2 Grady. As mentioned above, the 24 Offshore is a tank. As far as the pounding goes... yea, it does pound, but you'd be surprised how well you can reduce it with tabs. Another somewhat negative characteristic that stood out was... it broached pretty bad when it caught a big wave from the side. Nothing that was terrifying, but it was noticeable. Probably due to it's somewhat narrow 8' beam and 24' length. The hull is kind of on the tall side too. If you ever see one in a slip, next to say a 20 or a 22 Grady, you'll see what I mean. Again, those 2 negatives, (pounding and broaching) would not stop me from owning one. Imo, it's still a tough and capable hull.

jellyfish

Reaction score
catch22 said:
frat said:
I spoke with a couple of guys from South Carolina and Louisiana i think. They said they love their 24 offshores. They both said if you get into bigger chop you just slow down a bit and you plow right through it. The guys say it's a tank. They like the boat for all the reasons i am interested in it. The large fishing deck and the newer outboards are nice. Good range with the twin fuel tanks of 150 gallons total.Hard top with furuno radar and furuno gps/depth. I have been salmon, striper and halibut fishing the ocean and bay for 10 yrs now with my little Wellcraft v20 with and old '85 merc. 150 hp. I don't have alot of money to spend so i thought this would be a nice upgrade for me.

I had an 85 Offshore and I loved the boat. Enormous cockpit, deep gunnels and big fish box's. Had it out to the Baltimore canyon, (70 miles) and plenty of trips beyond 50 miles. I also had 2 Overnighters, (both non Sea V2 hulls) and imo, they were very good too. Are the Sea V hulls better... absolutely, but as long as the hull is in good shape, I wouldn't hesitate to own a non Sea V2 Grady. As mentioned above, the 24 Offshore is a tank. As far as the pounding goes... yea, it does pound, but you'd be surprised how well you can reduce it with tabs. Another somewhat negative characteristic that stood out was... it broached pretty bad when it caught a big wave from the side. Nothing that was terrifying, but it was noticeable. Probably due to it's somewhat narrow 8' beam and 24' length. The hull is kind of on the tall side too. If you ever see one in a slip, next to say a 20 or a 22 Grady, you'll see what I mean. Again, those 2 negatives, (pounding and broaching) would not stop me from owning one. Imo, it's still a tough and capable hull.
Good post and I agree. My 242 did not have trim tabs, so if you add them or the boat already has them she will ride a lot better. I also agree that the 24 x 8 ft beam is the reason for some of the pounding and broaching. I would just give the guy $50 bucks and have him take you out for a good ride. If it does not work out, you still got a good boat ride in the SF bay and are only out $50 dollars. It sounds like a good deal.

catch22

Reaction score
jellyfish said:
catch22 said:
frat said:

Good post and I agree. My 242 did not have trim tabs, so if you add them or the boat already has them she will ride a lot better. I also agree that the 24 x 8 ft beam is the reason for some of the pounding and broaching. I would just give the guy $50 bucks and have him take you out for a good ride. If it does not work out, you still got a good boat ride in the SF bay and are only out $50 dollars. It sounds like a good deal.

Imo, trim tabs are a necessity... they should be standard on every boat.

Also... if it hasn't been mentioned before... get a survey. Well worth the piece of mind.

frat

Reaction score
Thanks again guys. I guess im going to have to go for a ride to really know if it's right for me here in the SF bay and ocean. It's in my price range and has all the things that i want in a fishing boat, lots of deck space, hard top w/full enclosure, electronics, range, fuel efficiency. I really like the layout of the older hulls, less frills. The quallity of the ride is the only thing holding me up. I met a guy with a 2003 24 grady that goes out 50+ mi. and over nights for albacore tuna with 3 or 4 guys. He says he loves his boat.

Mark

jellyfish

Reaction score
Mark, the hull on the 2003 is the SV 2 HULL. It ride a lot different then the pre SV2 hulls in the SF bay/Ocean. I have had both. I am by no means saying not to buy the boat, just put a deposit on her and pay the guy $50 bucks and take her for a ride in the afternoon what the wind picks up and see what the boat can do in the chop. Does the boat have trim tabs? Let us know. Next week looks like were going to get a little wind and rain.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I owned an 1984 24 with the single 260 IO. I had tabs on the boat and thought the ride was very good in rough seas. You do need the tabs, put the bow down in the big seas and the boat went right through without pounding. I agree with the others, pay the $50 bucks and test it on a windy day. Good luck.

frat

Reaction score
Yes, the boat does have trim tabs. On my little wellcraft v20 i trim the motor down in the chop to keep the bow down, wont that work for this 24 grady also?

Mark

fishingstories

Reaction score
frat,
nope that offshore isnt the same as that v20 hull. that v20 hull is a speed hull and light. i assume that your outboard was transom mount>? this offshore you looking at is around 800 pounds hanging 2-3 foot off your transom on a bracket, so it will have some weight hanging off it plus fuel (6 pound per gallon of gas) then bait, tackle, deckhand, ice. I had v20 hulls before and it didnt need it. At that time I didnt realize what trims were capable of doing until i had a chance to own a boat with them. the bigger the boat, the more I think you need it. and you will understand when you start using the 24 offshore. make sure it has the fins as well on the outboards. without it you will porpoise like a dolphin from the smallest wave. yeah, go pay 50 bucks and burn up 20 gallon of fuel. then you even. Let us know how it went. Very curious to find out. O yeah, my v18 center console rides alot better than that v20. that was just for grins. good luck!